Watchmen doesn’t open until Friday, but online ticket sales are on fire. MovieTickets just reported that the pic is outpacing Zack Snyder’s previous 300 at 4-to-1 right now. but 300 sold more than 80% of its advance tickets on the Wednesday and Thursday prior to its release. Meanwhile, purchases for 124 IMAX screens now account for 1/3 of all Watchmen online ticket sales. Overall Watchmen ticket sales doubled Sunday to Monday. Fandango is already seeing the film snap up 61% of the online ticket site’s sales. Dozens of Thursday midnight showtimes for the film are already sold out from New York City to Dallas to San Diego.
Over the weekend, Fandango surveyed moviegoers planning to screen Watchmen
– 60% have read the Watchmen graphic novel
– 85% say the online clips and trailers made them more excited to see the movie
– 57% plan to see Watchmen with a group of friends
– 71% are planning a get together before or after the movie
– 85% had seen director Zack Snyder’s previous movie 300 on the big screen
– 73% are male
– 65% are aged 18 to 34
Editor-in-Chief Nikki Finke - tip her here.