EXCLUSIVE: That’s what I’m told by Fandango, even though there are still 5 more days before the Summit Entertainmnent’s vampire pic based on Stephenie Meyer’s bestselling books has its November 20 release date. New Moon has already leaped over previous record-holders to become the top-selling pre-release title in Fandango’s 10-year history. The new record for Fandango’s fastest-selling film was set on Saturday night after 8:00 PM.
The Top 5 Advance Ticket-Sellers on Fandango are now as follows:
1. New Moon (2009)
2. Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (2005)
3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)
4. The Dark Knight (2008)
5. Twilight (2008)
The latest chapter of The Twilight Saga is currently accounting for 86% of weekly ticket sales on Fandango, the nation’s leading movie ticketing destination. Thousands of Thursday night midnight showtimes for New Moon are already sold out across the country. Yet New Moon tickets continue to be available. To meet the fan demand, the nation’s top theater owners are regularly posting brand new showtimes on additional screens. “For many fans, it’s the year’s most anticipated film event,” Fandango COO Rick Butler said in a statement for me. “Ever since tickets went on sale in September, it’s been among our top five weekly ticket-sellers, as New Moon has a strong pull on audiences. We’re seeing a higher-than-usual number of tickets per transaction for this film, suggesting that moviegoers will show up en masse at theaters this weekend with their friends and family.”
According to a recent Fandango survey of 2,000+ New Moon ticket-buyers:
– 98% say the action in New Moon looks better than the action in Twilight
– 72% plan to see the movie with a group of three friends/ or more.
– 52% of survey respondents say they dream about vampires.
– 22% are mothers and daughters planning to see New Moon together
– 10% plan to show up at the theater dressed as the saga characters.
Editor-in-Chief Nikki Finke - tip her here.