This sounds like less of an artistic celebration — and more like crass commercialism:
Los Angeles, CA April 14, 2010 – Today, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment kicked off a 12-month marketing, promotions, publicity and media campaign to honor and promote the studio’s legacy and library. The celebration will include the release of more than 300 films on Blu-ray Disc and DVD.
FOX 75TH ANNIVERSARY MARKETING CAMPAIGN
Fox’s year-long celebration will include extensive catalog releases of more than 300 of the studio’s most notable films on Blu-ray Disc and DVD and will be supported by event publicity campaigns, national advertising, retail and account specific promotions, internal and studio driven special events and limited-edition gift with purchase promotions.
The studio has launched a dedicated Web site – www.fox75th.com – that will feature information about upcoming Blu-ray Disc and DVD products, theatrical releases and national and local events and promotions tied to the 75th Anniversary campaign.
The website provides consumers with a chance to win a prize daily from Fox Home Entertainment. Prizes include a chance to instantly win $75,000 or a special limited edition poster, Blu-ray Disc or DVD. Complete rules and eligibility requirements are available at www.Fox75th.com.
Fox Home Entertainment will release a selection of seasonally timed singles, double and triple features and classic quads on DVD representing some of Fox’s most recognizable films. Each product includes a gift with purchase offer to redeem a limited edition 75th anniversary commemorative movie poster. Each poster features a globally recognized and iconic film image from Fox’s 75 years of glamour, dynamic duos, rebels, cult classics, screams, sci-fi and music.
The first product wave representing critically acclaimed films timed to awards season is available in stores now. Product includes:
SINGLES ($14.98 and $19.98 US / $16.98 and $21.98 Canada MSRP)
Nine titles including:
● THE KING AND I, LOVE ME TENDER, ALL ABOUT EVE, GENTLEMEN’S AGREEMENT, ALL THAT JAZZ, LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING, ROMANCING THE STONE, HELLO DOLLY! AND THE GANG’S ALL HERE
DOUBLE FEATURES ($14.98 US / $16.98 Canada MSRP)
Nine collections including:
● THE COMMITMENTS/THE FULL MONTY, AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER/EVER AFTER, MOULIN ROUGE/TRISTAN & ISOLDE, LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE/JUNO, WALK THE LINE/WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE’S ROMEO & JULIET AND GARDEN STATE/SAY ANYTHING…, among others.
TRIPLE FEATURES ($22.98 US / $25.98 Canada MSRP)
Seven collections of award-winning dramas, comedies and sci-fi films in 75th branded packaging include:
● AWARD-WINNING DRAMA: THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND/MASTER AND COMMANDER/WALL STREET
● AWARD-WINNING COMEDY: THE FULL MONTY/M*A*S*H/MY COUSIN VINNY
● AWARD-WINNING SCI-FI: THE ABYSS/ALIEN/ALIENS
CLASSIC QUADS ($19.98 US/ $21.98 Canada MSRP)
Three collections of Fox studio classics in 75th branded packaging include:
● ANNA KARENINA/A FAREWELL TO ARMS/LES MISERABLES/THE SUN ALSO RISES
● AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN/A LETTER TO THREE WIVES/PEYTON PLACE
● ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM/COLE PORTER’S CAN-CAN/DADDY LONG LEGS/STAR!
Upcoming seasonally available product waves will include family friendly films timed to Easter, a selection of dramas timed to Mother’s Day, westerns and war films timed to Father’s Day, key comedies in time for summer vacation, sci-fi and horror films timed to Halloween and a selection of collector’s edition and gift box sets for the holidays.
Fox will release a selection of event titles on Blu-ray Disc for the first time. Event titles making their Blu-ray Disc debut in Q3 and Q4 2010 include:
● ALIEN ANTHOLOGY
○ All four Alien films digitally restored and available together in a six disc set packed with extras
● THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (35TH ANNIVERSARY)
○ New special features including live cast re-enactments and RHPS karoake
● THE SOUND OF MUSIC (45TH ANNIVERSARY)
○ Digitally restored with 7.1 audio and never before seen interactivity and features
● WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE’S ROMEO & JULIET
○ New high definition transfer and BD Live special features including Live Lookup
● MOULIN ROUGE!
○ New high definition transfer and BD Live special features
● THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS
○ All-new Director’s Definitive Cut and interviews with Daniel Day Lewis
COMMEMORATIVE BOX SET
To cement the Fox 75th Anniversary promotion, Fox will premiere the most comprehensive collection of Fox films ever to be released on DVD this fall in a lavish collectible package. This unique collection was handpicked by studio chairmen Tom Rothman and Jim Gianopulos based on several criteria including cinematic merit, historic significance, cultural impact and commercial and critical success. Titles include ALL ABOUT EVE, AVATAR, BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID, CLEOPATRA, DEVIL WEARS PRADA, GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, ICE AGE, JUNO, LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, MINORITY REPORT, PATTON, WALL STREET, and more.
Exact title configurations, packaging and release dates for Fox 75th Blu-ray Disc and DVD releases will be confirmed in the coming weeks.
Editor-in-Chief Nikki Finke - tip her here.