Almost 50 new civil claims have been filed in the phone hacking scandal that has rocked Rupert Murdoch’s UK newspaper division. In London this morning, Hugh Tomlinson, the attorney representing a large part of the claimants said he had 44 new cases and that 2 others had been filed separately, The Guardian reports. The alleged voice mail interceptions concern the now-shuttered tabloid News Of The World, which was controlled by News Corp division News International. Tomlinson told the High Court today that there were 4,791 potential phone hacking victims. Police are said to have identified 1,174 likely victims out of 1,892 who have been contacted, says The Guardian. About 60 cases have already been settled including one brought by Jude Law. Citing an attorney at News Corp’s UK press unit, The Wall Street Journal says the company is determined to settle all possible civil suits. The news of the civil suits comes as lawyers are considering whether to pursue cases in the US. Both James Murdoch, who was formerly the head of News International, and his father Rupert are scheduled to give evidence next week at the Leveson Inquiry into UK media ethics.
By NANCY TARTAGLIONE, International Editor | Friday, 20 April 2012 13:53 UKTags: News International, News of the World, Rupert Murdoch
For all of Deadline's headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter.
This article was printed from http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/news-international-facing-slew-of-new-civil-suits-over-alleged-u-k-phone-hacking/
Deadline Investigates CSS
SUBSCRIBE TO DEADLINE NEWS
News/Opinion PollLoading ...
By The Numbers
Box Office PollLoading ...
HBO GO Campaign – ‘True Blood’