EXCLUSIVE: Fujifilm won a Sci-Tech Oscar this year for its contribution to motion pictures, but Deadline hears the division of the company that produces motion picture film is set to close by December 31. A Fuji spokesperson said they were unauthorized to answer any questions. However, industry sources say they are aware of the plans. “They clearly are going around telling people,” one says. Fuji film is used for about 20% of studio business with Kodak repping the other 80%, I’m told. While there remain stalwarts, fewer movies are shot on film today and eventually, a source opines, no one will be manufacturing it. However, film is still considered the best medium for archival preservation given the unknowns surrrounding the future of digital archives. In that regard, there’s a bigger general question facing the industry as it tries to work out what will be the best long-term solution.
For all of Deadline's headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter.
This article was printed from http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/fuji-to-cease-motion-picture-film-manufacturing-by-end-of-the-year/
Deadline Investigates CSS
SUBSCRIBE TO DEADLINE NEWS
News/Opinion PollLoading ...
By The Numbers
Box Office PollLoading ...
Disney’s ‘Maleficent’ – Legacy Featurette