Kambozia Partovi, the co-director and co-star of banned Iranian filmmaker Jafar Panahi‘s Closed Curtain was in Berlin earlier this month to accept a Best Script Silver Bear on Panahi’s behalf. That will be his last international appearance with the film, for now. I’ve confirmed that Partovi and Closed Curtain actress Maryam Moghadam have both had their passports confiscated by the Iranian authorities, meaning they will be unable to travel with the movie as it makes the festival rounds. It is scheduled for closing night duties at the Hong Kong Film Festival on April 2 and has been invited elsewhere. I understand that it will continue to travel, even if those involved in making it can’t be present in support, and that the film has sold in a number of territories. Panahi is under a 20-year filmmmaking ban for “propaganda against the state.” He continues to make movies, however, including 2011′s This Is Not A Film and this year’s Closed Curtain. Just after the latter won its Berlin prize, an Iranian official said fest organizers “should amend their behavior” noting, “Everyone knows that a license is needed to make films in our country and send them abroad, but there are a small number who make films and send them out without a license. This is an offense.” During his trip to Berlin, Partovi said, “We don’t know what this will lead to. We are very glad that Jafar had the opportunity to come through with this project… We don’t know what the future holds in store for us.”
By NANCY TARTAGLIONE, International Editor | Wednesday, 27 February 2013 21:50 UKTags: Berlin Film Festival, Closed Curtain, Jafar Panahi
Get Deadline news and alerts FREE to your inbox...
This article was printed from http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/jafar-pahanis-closed-curtain-collaborators-blocked-in-iran-but-film-will-travel/
SUBSCRIBE TO DEADLINE NEWS
News/Opinion PollLoading ...
By The Numbers
Box Office PollLoading ...