“We’re ending contracts forever, for everybody,” T-Mobile CEO John Legere said today in one of the most widely watched — as well as funniest — announcements at the International CES confab. The No. 4 mobile phone provider says it will pay early-termination fees of up to $350 per line for up to five lines, and offer as much as $300 credit for the customer’s phone. This is Legere’s latest effort to rock the mobile industry which, he says, “blows. It’s just broken.” Earlier this week AT&T had security escort Legere out of a company party at CES where rapper Macklemore was performing. (“I’m not sh*tting you. I just love Macklemore,” Legere says.) The T-Mobile chief has targeted AT&T, whose plan to buy the smaller company was thwarted in 2011 when the Justice Department raised antitrust objections. Last week AT&T pre-emptively said it will offer T-Mobile customers up to $450 to switch. Legere says he’s unfazed: “AT&T is a total source of amusement for me… . AT&T takes my bullsh*t.” He boasted today that T-Mobile has the fastest mobile network and threatened to send a cease-and-desist letter to AT&T, which says it’s the speediest. Legere says his efforts to end contracts and phone subsidies are paying off: T-Mobile added 1.65M customers in Q4 — making it the company’s best quarter in eight years — and added 4.4M customers for all of 2013. Referring to his competitors, the CEO says “I’m going to love watching the peckers scream and cry.”
By DAVID LIEBERMAN, Financial Editor | Wednesday January 8, 2014 @ 5:02pm ESTTags: CES, John Legere, T-Mobile
For all of Deadline's headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter.
This article was printed from http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/ces-t-mobile-says-it-will-pay-early-termination-fees-to-win-mobile-phone-users-from-rivals/