Nellie Andreeva

mobcityTNT will not be going forward with a second installment of Frank Darabont’s period drama  Mob City after a low-rated, six-episode run this fall as a limited series. “Mob City was created as a three-week television event and we are incredibly proud of the six hours we presented of this remarkable drama,” a TNT spokesperson said. “Although the ratings of the limited series haven’t warranted more hours we are eager to work with Frank Darabont again and were delighted to bring the vibrant world of Mob City to life.” Despite a big promotional push, Darabont’s Mob City didn’t get much traction from the get-go. The noir series opened with a soft 2.3 million total viewers and 801, 000 adults 18-49. That was at the higher end between TNT’s two previous debuts Monday Mornings and King And Maxwell - both of whom have since been cancelled. Mob City marks TNT’s third consecutive new drama series to be cancelled after one season.

Mob City was out of TNT’s wheelhouse of character-based procedurals, like Rizzoli & Isles, and action-adventure popcorn Sunday fare, like Falling Skies. “Every once and then, we take a big swing, and I’m so happy we did Mob City,” TNT’s programming chief Michael Wright told me last month, before a final decision on Mob City had been made. “Ratings have been mediocre but the show is great, it was beautifully made, got good reviews and was an attention grabbing show.” He noted that Mob City had gotten more buzz than some of the network’s highest rated shows. “In today’s world, it makes sense to make shows that get attention,” he said.

TV Editor Nellie Andreeva - tip her here.