Paul Thomas Anderson‘s next film Inherent Vice has been given a plum awards-season release date. Warner Bros said today that the pic starring Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson, Josh Brolin, Katherine Waterston and Jena Malone will come out December 12, 2014. The adaptation of Thomas Pynchon’s 2009 detective novel will be Anderson’s first film since 2012′s The Master, which was nominated for three Oscars. The studio has spent the past week setting its release slate, especially for early 2015, finding spots for Man From U.N.C.L.E (January 16), Run All Night (February 6), Focus (February 27) and Get Hard (March 27).
As usual it will be a packed Oscar-bait weekend on December 12. That’s when Fox releases its Ridley Scott biblical epic Exodus, starring Christian Bale as Moses and Joel Edgerton as Egyptian pharaoh Ramses II. It’s also the date for Paddington, the live-action adaptation of the classic cartoon character from TWC-Dimension. Colin Firth voices the bear, and Nicole Kidman is an evil taxidermist out for revenge.
This should add some excitement to Time Warner Cable‘s next shareholders’ meeting. Charter has several highly regarded cable execs — including former TWC Chief Technology Officer Jim Chiddix, former Charter CTO Marwan Fawaz, and Oxygen Media co-founder Lisa Gersh – in its collection of independent candidates for the No. 2 cable company’s board. They’d support Charter’s $61.3B (including debt) cash and stock takeover offer. In addition, Charter hopes to head off efforts by TWC to adopt anti-takeover protections. It proposes to fix the size of the board at 13 and repeal any by-law amendments made without shareholder approval since July 26, 2012, the last time TWC disclosed any change to its by-laws. “It is clear from our meetings with Time Warner Cable shareholders that there is an overwhelming desire to combine these two companies to increase Time Warner Cable’s competitiveness,” says Charter CEO Tom Rutledge. “Our purpose in this proxy contest is to enable shareholders of TWC to raise their voice, and to provide a very capable board who will hear them.” TWC says that Charter made a “grossly inadequate” bid by offering the equivalent of $132.50 a share; TWC considers $160 closer to the mark. “It is clear that Charter is nominating a slate of directors for the sole purpose of pressuring our Board into accepting the same lowball offer that it previously considered and unanimously rejected,” TWC chief Rob Marcus says. “Our Board remains focused on maximizing shareholder value. We are confident in our strategic plan, which was detailed publicly on January 30, and we are not going to let Charter steal the company.” TWC shares opened this morning up slightly at $136 — suggesting that investors believe that Charter, or someone, will offer more.
Here are Charter’s candidates for the TWC board with its description of their backgrounds and qualifications: Read More »
UPDATED, SUNDAY 6:05 PM:60 Minutes ended its report tonight with CBS News’s most detailed account to date of its error in its October 27th broadcast about the attack on the American special mission compound in Benghazi. As she had onCBS This Morning on Friday, Lara Logan delivered the apology. It was Logan who had interviewed security officer Dylan Davies in that October 27th broadcast, in which he described his activities the night of the attack – an account that has now been discredited by an FBI report about the incident. As with her comments on the morning news program, and with 60 Minutes exec producer Jeff Fager (who is also chairman of CBS News), there was no mention as to what steps CBS News will take to determine how the mistake was made, or whether any staffers will be suspended or dismissed.
“We end our broadcast tonight with a correction, on a story we reported October 27th about the attack on the American special mission compound in Benghazi, in which Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed. In the story, a security officer working for the State Department, Dylan Davies, told us he went to the compound during the attack, and detailed his role that night.
“After our report aired, questions arose about whether his account was true, when an incident report surfaced. It told a different story about what he did the night of the attack. Davies denied having anything to do with that incident report, and insisted the story he told us was not only accurate, it was the same story he told the FBI when they interviewed him. On Thursday night, when we discovered the account he gave the FBI was different than what he told us, we realized we had been misled, and it was a mistake to include him in our report. For that, we are very sorry. The most important thing to every person at 60 Minutes is the truth. And the truth is, we made a mistake.” Read More »
UPDATE, 6:20 AM: “We were wrong,”60 Minutes correspondent Lara Logan said on CBS This Morning about the newsmagazine’s report on the Benghazi attack in 2012 that was based on an interview with Dylan Davies, who had worked for the State Department in Libya. “We apologize to our viewers,” she added. The apology comes at the end of a week in which press reports called into question the truth of Davies’ claims in the interview — and a book, published by CBS. That includes new details of an interview Davies did with the FBI after the attack, of which Logan said CBS News was aware but had not seen when it broadcast its segment. Logan said Davies had insisted the FBI interview would corroborate his interview with the newsmag; this week CBS News learned it did not, Logan said. Taking a page from the Crisis Management Handbook, reps for the news division advised reporters the brouhaha was politically motivated earlier in the week. Then, late last night, CBS News issued a statement that it was looking into the new information. The admission of error and apology came 12 hours after that. “We were misled,” Logan told Norah O’Donnell and Jeff Glor. 60 Minutes will apologize on-air this Sunday and set the record straight, she said. Between now and then expect much media ruminating about that other botched 60 Minutes report, on George W. Bush’s National Guard service, helmed by Dan Rather in 2004, and whether this new embarrassment will cost anyone at the news division their jobs.
Here’s the video, followed by the transcript:
Here’s the transcript:
NORAH O’DONNELL: “60 MINUTES” has learned of new information that undercuts its October 27th account of an ex-security officer who called himself Morgan Jones. His real name is Dylan Davies, and he recounted to Lara Logan, in great detail, what he claimed were his actions on the night of the attack on the Benghazi compound. Lara joins us this morning. Lara, good morning. What can you tell us?
LARA LOGAN: The most important thing to every person at “60 MINUTES” is the truth, and today the truth is that we made a mistake. That’s very disappointing for any journalist. It’s very disappointing for me. Nobody likes to admit that they made a mistake, but if you do, you have to stand up and take responsibility and you have to say that you were wrong. And in this case, we were wrong. We made a mistake. And how did this happen? Well, Dylan Davies worked for the State Department in Libya, was the manager of the local guard force at the Benghazi Special Mission compound. He described for us his actions the night of the attack, saying he had entered the compound and had a confrontation with one of the attackers, and that he had seen the body of Ambassador Chris Stevens in a local hospital. And after our report aired, questions were raised about whether his account was real, after an incident report surfaced that told a different story about what he’d done that night. He denied that report and said that he told the FBI the same story he told us. But what we now know is that he told the FBI a different story from what he told us. That’s when we realized that we no longer had confidence in our source, and that we were wrong to put him on air, and we apologize to our viewers.
Exactly four months from today on March 2nd the 86th Academy Awards will take place, but the 2013 awards season starts in earnest today as Deadline’s 3rd Annual THE CONTENDERS event kicks off this morning at the brand new Wallis Annenberg Center For The Performing Arts in Beverly Hills. It’s the meeting of a new venue and an early look at the race for Oscar that will bring members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences and key guild voters to see what the studios and distributors are touting as their big contenders this year. In all 12 of those companies will each be given a half hour to showcase their wares and make their case for a slate of Oscar-worthy hopefuls that already is promising to be the strongest in years. Participating are The Weinstein Company, Roadside Attractions/Lionsgate, Focus, CBS Films, Paramount, Fox Searchlight, Warner Bros, Sony Pictures, Sony Pictures Classics, Walt Disney Pictures, Universal and Dreamworks Animation. Numerous directors, writers, producers, actors and below the line artists will be participating in panels presided over by Deadline’s Pete Hammond, Mike Fleming Jr. and Dominic Patten. The day long event running from 9AM to 5pm will also feature a catered breakfast and buffet lunch. And it’s completely sold out. Camera crews will be capturing it all and highlights from each presentation will be featured on Deadline, ENTV and other outlets in the weeks to come. The event is being produced by Madelyn Hammond.
Deadline’s Awards Columnist Pete Hammond and ENTV host Melana Scantlin discuss Pete’s predictions in the reality and variety categories in this weekend’s Primetime Emmys, along with his wish list. Will The Amazing Race dominate once again and, after 32 nominations, will this finally be Bill Maher’s year for Real Time?
Deadline’s Awards Columnist Pete Hammond talks with ENTV host Melana Scantlin about the likely winners in key comedy segments in this weekend’s Primetime Emmys, including whether defending champ Modern Family can stave off The Big Bang Theory and other contenders for its fourth straight win as Best Comedy Series.
Deadline Awards Columnist Pete Hammond sits down with ENTV host Melana Scantlin to preview the Primetime Emmys, here looking at the likely winners in the Movies & Miniseries categories. Pete tabs HBO’s Behind The Candelabra and star Michael Douglas among the strongest candidates to take home a statue, on top of the eight the Liberace biopic scooped up Sunday at the Creative Arts Emmy ceremony for behind-the-scenes achievements.
Deadline Awards Columnist Pete Hammond sits down with ENTV host Melana Scantlin to talk about the drama categories in a preview of likely winners in this year’s Primetime Emmys. Pete says good timing likely tips a tough and tight race for Best Drama Series to Breaking Bad, but look out for House Of Cards, which might have something to say in some of the acting categories. Fine performances by the key people in Mad Men aren’t likely to get rewarded, Pete suggests, but voters may check in to Bates Motel for an acting win there.
With today’s Men’s Final of the U.S. Open Tennis still going on, CBS opted to post its full interview with President Barack Obama on Syria online instead of on-air on the East Coast. The 10-minute-plus clip with anchor Scott Pelley and Obama went up right after the 3 PM PT/6 PM ET embargo the networks and the cable news stations agreed to with the White House expired. While it will be seen on the West Coast, the CBS Evening News will not be shown at all tonight on the East Coast. (UPDATE 4:15 PM The network did interrupt the Tennis briefly on that side of the country with a CBS News Special Report at 6:52 PM ET that showed two minutes of the interview.) NBC and ABC did not put their interviews with Obama up online before their regularly scheduled 6:3O PM ET newscasts. Both CNN and Fox News Channel aired portions of their respective interviews with Obama at 3:02 PM PT/6:02 PM ET.
CBS This Morning‘s Charlie Rose has a fascinating interview this morning with Oracle CEO Larry Ellison. The billionaire describes the late Apple CEO Steve Jobs — his former best friend — as “our Edison…our Picasso” and adds that under Tim Cook the company “will not be nearly so successful.”Ellison also attacks Google CEO Larry Page: Google’s Android operating system infringes on Oracle’s copyrights for Java, the company says.
NEW YORK, New York (July 12, 2013): After debuting its content in New York City taxis this spring, PowerwomenTV expands its digital reach by formally launching its programming online July 15.
“PowerwomenTV was created to fill the gap in traditional women’s programming,” says network founder and CEO, Amy Palmer. “Our content focuses on a women’s 360 approach to life — from business to style, from money to parenting. Women aren’t one dimensional and their media shouldn’t be either.”
UPDATE, 9:04 AM:CBS This Morning‘s hosts read part of Warner Bros‘ statement on the air but not all of it. Here it is in full:
The Weinstein Company, as the New York Times has noted, is following an oft-trodden path of creating “well-publicized controversies” in order to promote their films by disseminating deliberate misinformation about the true nature of this dispute. The Weinsteins are sophisticated experts in this arena and three neutral arbitrators have penalized them for blatantly disregarding MPAA rules. It goes without saying that Warner Bros. has no issue with Lee Daniels’ film (never has) and fully supports the artistic goals of the filmmakers. The Weinsteins’ suggestions to the contrary are deeply offensive and untrue.
PREVIOUS, 8:24 AM: Warner Bros says that Harvey Weinstein is “following a well-trodden path of publicizing controversies”, and Weinstein says that Warners execs told him that the studio would drop its claim to the title The Butler if he gave them rights to The Hobbit .. and MPAA chief Chris Dodd thinks this has become “silly.” That was just part of what was said today on CBS This Morning in a segment on the ongoing fight over the title of the upcoming Lee Daniels-directed White House drama. The pugilistic Weinstein appeared this morning along with his lawyer David Boies, First Amendment attorney Floyd Abrams and Dodd after his … Read More »
There are five AwardsLine Emmy issues scheduled for this year — three have come out ahead of today’s 5 PM PT deadline to submit nominations ballots for the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards, and two more are due in August after the nominations are announced July 18. Here are links to AwardsLine’s stories we’ve posted to keep you satisfied until nomination day.
Drama Series Overview
At a glance, this list of probable contenders for the drama Emmy will look a lot like last year’s. AMC’s Mad Men and Breaking Bad are back. So are PBS’ Downton Abbey, HBO’s Game Of Thrones and, of course, 2012’s winner, Showtime’s Homeland. But also included among the frontrunners this year — as if the broadcast networks didn’t have a hard enough time getting any noms! — is Netflix’s first entry, House Of Cards. How will the wildcard fare against the cablers?
NoHo Arts District, CA, June 27, 2013 – Kate Mara (House of Cards) and two-time Emmy® Award winner Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad) will join Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Chairman-CEO, Bruce Rosenblum, at 5:40 AM PDT on July 18th to announce the 65th Primetime Emmy® Awards Nominations. Returning as producer of this year’s nominations telecast is Spike Jones, Jr., The Emmy Nominations Announcement will take place at the Television Academy’s Leonard H. Goldenson Theatre in North Hollywood.
Netflix is taking a page from political elections’ playbook in its first Emmy campaign with For Your Consideration lawn signs supporting its original series House Of Cards, which also is set in the world of national politics, and Arrested Development. In the stunt, which kicked off about a week and a half ago, reps for the streaming services are going door to door in upscale neighborhoods with high concentration of TV Academy voters — including Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Brentwood, Beverly Hills, Studio City, Los Feliz — offering yard signs for the two shows to residents and commercial storefronts. In exchange for putting up the signs, homeowners are offered their choice of a six-month Netflix subscription, a $50 donation to the Red Cross in their name or a $50 AmEx gift card.
The lawn sign campaign, which coincides with peak real-estate trolling season, runs through Friday, when the Emmy nominations votes are due. Netflix already employed an enterprising approach in the Emmy campaign for House Of Cards with Rollin’ Rib BBQ food truck (disguised as Freddy’s BBQ, favored joint of Kevin Spacey’s Rep. Frank Underwood) giving out free lunches to card-carrying LA Academy members. There also are FYC billboards around town for both House Of Cards and Arrested Development.
The lineup of TV dramas getting Emmy nominations and wins the past few years hasn’t changed much, but Deadline’s Pete Hammond has a few ideas to break voters out of their rut when it comes to picking a Best Drama. He breaks big for AMC‘s Breaking Bad and says the royal numbers commanded by Game Of Thrones may crown HBO, but don’t overlook the possible election of politically savvy newcomer House Of Cards, from Netflix.
The Daily Show With Jon Stewart has won the Emmy for Best Variety Series for nine straight years. Deadline Awards Columnist Pete Hammond talks with ENTV host Brian Corsetti about some nomination options for Emmy voters looking to shake things up a bit in a static category, including strong work by Bill Maher, Jimmy Kimmel’s Matt Damon takeover episode, and a revived Saturday Night Live.
Deadline’s Awards Columnist Pete Hammond has a simple wish: How about some competition in the Emmy Reality Competition category? With just one week left for voters to pick their nominees for this year’s awards, Hammond suggests some alternatives to The Amazing Race, which has won all but one year the category has existed. He also has says that, though American Idol has little chance of nabbing a nom this year, its host Ryan Seacrest is way past due to win as Best Reality Host.