Normally an expletive uttered on live television would trigger FCC scrutiny and potential fines. But in the wake of the Boston bombings and subsequent manhunt FCC chairman Julius Genachowski made a rare exception. Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz slipped an f-bomb into an speech broadcast live before Saturday’s home game against the Kansas City Royals. “This is our f—ing city, and nobody’s going to dictate our freedom”, he said. Genachowski later Tweeted from the verified FCC account: @FCC: David Ortiz spoke from the heart at today’s Red Sox game. I stand with Big Papi and the people of Boston – Julius.
The News Corp. Chairman and CEO today Tweeted a defense of the New York Post’s controversial Thursday front-pager blasting two innocent men as “Bag Men” sought …
BREAKING 5:42 PM… REFRESH FOR LATEST: The TV news channels reported simultaneously “the suspect is in custody” just minutes before the Boston Police tweeted confirmatin. News crews on the scene said police and residents broke into spontaneous applause. In summary the news networks did a responsible and accurate job covering the 23-hour manhunt for the 19-year-old Boston Marathon suspect and his dead older brother. TV anchors are quoting Boston police as saying Suspect #2 is alive and has unspecified medical needs. “It is the end,” simply summed up CNN’s Anderson Cooper.
UPDATE 4:30 PM: Primetime is already abandoned on the East Coast. Because what may be the incredibly dramatic finish to the Boston bombing Suspect #2 manhunt is playing out live on broadcast and cable TV right now. But, once again, the Boston Globe got the major scoop. The nets are quoting the newspaper as reporting, “Suspect is pinned down”. Specifically a massive police presence has him cornered in a residential Watertown neighborhood in what is being called a standoff between authorities and the wounded suspect who reportedly has been hiding in a boat in someone’s backyard. In terms of the TV coverage, ABC cut to the police action and to Diane Sawyer first. CBS stayed with its syndicated programming Judge Judy before cutting to WBZ Boston a few minutes later. NBC stayed with the syndicated Ellen show until shifting over to MSNBC news and then Brian Williams. But right after a technical mishap ensued and voices could be heard saying, “You’re not listening? We don’t know. We don’t know shit.” The feed was swiftly cut – and Williams quickly came back on air to apologize for the four-letter word. CNN was first to alert viewers to gunshots in Watertown – and immediately all the news channels switched to coverage of the swarming police cars coming from everywhere. Fox News was first to report “Suspect is down” which wasn’t entirely accurate. The 19-year-old has not been captured and he has not been killed: he is hunkered down in the boat and refusing to come out. meanwhile, the Boston area lockdown was ordered back on.
PREVIOUSLY, 3:28 PM: The Boston area lockdown is lifted – so tonight’s movie-going should proceed as normal. The transit system is also now open and working again as well but citizens should remain “vigilant,” Gov. Deval Patrick announced at a press conference just now. All the networks broke into their resumed regular scheduled programming briefly to cover the press conference. However, despite the lockdown being lifted, major sporting events and the Boston Comic-Con remain postponed as Deadline reported before.
PREVIOUSLY, 12: 25PM: ABC and NBC cut away from Diane Sawyer and Brian Williams’ coverage of the Boston manhunt to go to local news today at noon. The local stations were covering the situation in Boston themselves. CBS, which had cut away to air The Price Is Right at 10 AM, continued their resumption of a network special report that came back on the air at 11 AM. As the lockdown in Boston continues through the day and mass transit has been shut down, sporting events are being postponed. “Tonight’s Bruins/Penguins game has been postponed and tentatively rescheduled for 4/20 at 12:30 p.m,” tweeted the Boston Bruins at 12:19 PM PT. This comes as the team’s last game on Monday was cancelled and the team pulled the plug on their practice this morning. The Red Sox will also not be playing tonight. “Tonight’s Red Sox game at Fenway Park scheduled for 7:10pm has been postponed to support efforts of law enforcement officers,” the team tweetedat noon Friday. The Boston Comic-Con has also been postponed as well as all events at the Hynes Convention Center have been suspended. The April 20 to 21 event was expected to attract 6,000 visitors. The Walking Dead’s Laurie Holden and Lauren Cohan were among the celebrity guest scheduled to appear at the Comic-Con this weekend. Organizers say the event will be rescheduled “in the not too distant future.”
PREVIOUSLY, 10:02 AM: CBS cut away at 10 AM from its special coverage of the manhunt in Boston to go back to its regular scheduled programming of The Price Is Right. Both ABC and NBC have stayed on the search in Boston.
PREVIOUSLY, 9:29 AM: As the manhunt continues in Boston, ABC, NBC and CBS are staying on continuous coverage and pre-empting any regular scheduled morning programming. CBS say that anchor Scott Pelley will be hosting a primetime CBS News Special Report: Boston Bombers tonight from 9 to 10 PM ET in the slot where the drama Vegas usually airs. As it has several times this week, CBS will be broadcasting a one-hour version of the CBS Evening News. ABC will also have a one-hour expanded version of ABC World News and a special edition of 20/20 from live from Boston at 10 PM tonight in the newsmagazine’s regular slot and live coverage into the AM with Nightline. Tonight’s regularly scheduled Rock Center With Brian Williams will now be live from Boston at 10PM. The NBC Nightly News, which Williams has been hosting from Boston for most of the week, will be expanded to an hour again tonight.