Charlie Sheen won’t get his wish of a court battle against Warner Bros Television and Two and a Half Men co-creator Chuck Lorre over his firing from the hit CBS series. It was considered an extremely long shot, but Sheen’s lawyer Marty Singer today tried to prevent the case from going to private arbitration with an emergency temporary restraining order filed in Santa Monica. The injunction request was denied. No arbitrator has been selected yet, and there will be at least four weeks until a private hearing on the case is held, according to court documents. This was the latest of a series of legal wins for Warner Bros, which quickly started arbitration proceedings before Sheen filed his $100 million lawsuit against the studio and Lorre and then was successful in folding Sheen’s case against Lorre into its arbitration with the actor.
Here is the latest hourly Charlie Sheen update: the troubled actor is following on his repeated threats that he would sue Two and a Half Men producer Warner Bros. TV and network CBS.
Warner Bros. TV confirmed a TMZ report that top litigator Marty Singer has sent a letter to the studio demanding that Sheen is paid in full for the 8 unproduced episodes of the show’s current eighth season. Sheen retained Singer a couple of months ago in an effort to prevent Warner Bros. and CBS from shutting down production on the show amidst his personal problems. The legal letter reportedly claims that Sheen had been ready and willing to return to work for weeks but Men showrunner Chuck Lorre and the studio had been keeping him sidelined, thus breaching his contract. Such letters threatening legal action are a Singer specialty. For now, he and Sheen are stopping short of filing a lawsuit against Warner Bros.
UPDATE: And if GMA and Today were still under the impression that they’ve gotten some kind of an exclusive with their Charlie Sheen sitdowns, the actor also did video interviews this morning with his favorite news outlets of late: TMZ an Radaronline. “I’m supposed to be out there all humble and asking for my job,” Sheen said during the TMZ chat. “No, I don’t do that. I don’t understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of… I don’t know what I did to piss everyone off so much.”
He slammed CBS Corp. president and CEO Leslie Moonves for not firing Two and a Half Men showrunner Chuck Lorre. Asked if he would do the show if asked to stay clean he responded: “Bring it.”
PREVIOUS: In interviews for NBC’s Today show and ABC’s Good Morning America, Charlie Sheen toned down the name-calling from his recent radio rants a bit but continued to attack CBS and Warner Bros. for shutting down production on his hit comedy Two and a Half Men. In the GMA interview, he vowed to sue for “tons.”
“I’m gonna sue for what I’m worth and what I deserve and what they think they can take from me. They can’t,” Sheen said. “I don’t have a job. I got a whole family to support and love. And — people beyond myself, people a lot more important than me, are relying on that money to — fuel the magic.”
“I’m here to collect. They’re gonna lose. They’re gonna lose in a courtroom. So, I would recommend that they do an out of court settlement and fix this whole thing, and pay the crew, and get season nine back on board,” he said.
And how much would it cost Warner Bros. to have him back on Men? In the Today interview, Sheen demanded that the studio more than double his current salary to $3 million per episode. “Look what they put me through,” he said. “Come Wednesday morning, they’re going to rename it Charlie Bros. and not Warner Bros. Duh, winning!”
When it came to apologies for his verbal assaults over the past week, Sheen refused to give one to CBS. “They owe me a big one – publicly – while they lick my feet,” he told Today.
In the GMA interview, Sheen apologized to Men co-creator Chuck Lorre… sort of. “I’m sorry if I offended you,” he said. “I didn’t know you were so sensitive. I just thought, you know, after you whailing on me for eight years that I could like take a few shots back. I didn’t know you were gonna take your little ball and go home and punish everybody in the process.”
Also on GMA, Sheen admitted that he “probably took more than anybody could survive [on]” when it comes to drugs but is not afraid he might die. “Dying is for fools,” he quipped. Sheen said he stopped taking drugs a month to six weeks ago and swears he won’t relapse. “I’m not going to, period, the end,” he said. “I blinked and I cured my brain, that’s how.” The results from a drug test administered by Radaronline were revealed during the telecast, confirming that Sheen is indeed drug-free at the moment.
In the Today interview, Sheen said he has big plans for the future with starring roles in both film and TV. “I won best picture at 20,” Sheen said, a reference to best picture Oscar winner Platoon, which he filmed when he was 20. (He wasn’t nominated for the film). “I wasn’t even trying. I wasn’t even warm.” Here is clip from the GMA interview: