Check Out Our New Look

Craig Borten Enters ‘The 33′ Mining Disaster; Jennifer Lopez Exits

By | Friday September 20, 2013 @ 12:33pm PDT
Mike Fleming

EXCLUSIVE: Craig Borten has signed to rewrite/polish The 33, the survival struggle of 33 miners trapped far below the earth after a cave-in in Copiapo, Chile, in 2010. It is Borten’s first job since writing with Melissa Wallack on Dallas Buyers Club, the fact-based drama that generated strong Oscar buzz at the Toronto Film Festival.

In another development on the film, Jennifer Lopez has just dropped out of The 33, because of a scheduling problem that cropped up when she committed to a return to American Idol. The 33 will be directed by La Misma Luna’s Patricia Riggen, with Antonio Banderas and Martin Sheen committed to star in the rescue tale that is being produced by Mike Medavoy, Robert Katz and Edward McGurn. Carlos Eugenio Lavin and Leopoldo Enriquez will be exec producers. Read More »

Comments (10)

Chilean Miners Sell Story To Mike Medavoy, With Jose Rivera Set To Write Script

By | Sunday July 24, 2011 @ 4:42pm PDT
Mike Fleming

LOS ANGELES, CA – (JULY 24, 2011) Academy Award-nominated producer Mike Medavoy and representatives of the 33 Chilean Miners, whose remarkable rescue from the San José Mine last year captivated the world’s attention, jointly announced today that they have entered into an agreement to bring the miners’ extraordinary story to the screen. Academy Award-nominated screenwriter José Rivera (MOTORCYCLE DIARIES) is set to adapt. The film will recount the events surrounding the mine’s collapse and the subsequent rescue efforts, which culminated in the emotional retrieval of all 33 miners after 69 days trapped half a mile beneath the surface.

“Like millions of people around the world, I was completely engrossed watching the rescue at Copiapó. At its heart, this is a story about the triumph of the human spirit and a testament to the courage and perseverance of the Chilean people. I can’t think of a better story than this one to bring to the screen,” said Medavoy.

“One year after the collapse of the mine, we consider this to be a great step towards the realization of a film based on our experience in the mine. This is the only official and authorized film about what we lived in the San José mine. Much of our story has never been told,” said miner Juan Andrés Illanes.

Mike Medavoy and Edward McGurn, Medavoy’s Vice-President at Phoenix Pictures, will produce through Medavoy’s recently formed Half Circle banner. Prominent Chilean entrepreneurs Carlos Eugenio Lavín and Leopoldo Enriquez will Executive Produce. Lavin is a childhood friend of Medavoy’s from his years in Chile, and Enriquez is a long time associate.

Read More »

Comments (16)

WME Signs Chilean Miners

By | Tuesday March 1, 2011 @ 7:09am PST
Mike Fleming

UPDATE: WME will be pitted against rival agency UTA in the quest to set up projects about the Chilean miner rescue. Deadline previously told you that Kansas-based international drilling company Layne Christensen Company and chief driller Jeff Hart were signed by UTA to tell the story from their perspective, which shapes up as an underground Apollo 13.

Earlier, 7:09 AM: WME has added 33 new clients. They are the Chilean miners who were rescued last October after being trapped together for 69 days after the copper mine they were working in collapsed August 5, 2010 in Copiapo. The men were stuck 2000 feet underground, and were finally rescued one at a time. The miners continue to be an inspiring story of survival, though reports indicate many are still having trouble processing the ordeal.

WME will rep life rights in all areas, including TV, film, books, commercials, theater and lectures. WME has the ability to sell a rights package that will include a daily journal kept by one of the miners. They haven’t aligned with anyone until now. WME will work with Arent Fox, the law firm working with the group, as well as Chilean firms Carey y Cia and Remberto Valdes.

Comments 46

How Hollywood May Film Chilean Miners Saga

By | Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 1:25pm PST



EXCLUSIVE: Some very interesting new details are emerging about Hollywood’s effort to bring that happy-ending Chilean-miners-trapped-underground-for-33-days story to the big screen. It turns out now that Kansas-based international drilling company Layne Christensen Company and chief driller Jeff Hart are emerging as major players in the proposed drama. Deadline has learned that the pitch is for an underground Apollo 13. Because, while the Chilean miners were anxiously awaiting rescue after nearly three months trapped more than 2000 feet underground, unfolding at the surface was a thriller involving 3 separate drilling teams racing to punch through rock and free the men. Of the three drilling efforts – nicknamed Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C — Plan B was the one that made it through to the miners, led by veteran driller Jeff Hart whose own personal story reads like it came straight from a screenplay.

The strapping 40-year-old family man was in Afghanistan drilling badly needed water wells for the U.S. military when the Chilean mine collapsed. From his remote outpost, Hart watched the news bulletins on CNN, including on the 17th day of the disaster when word came that the miners were alive. That’s when Hart got the call from Layne Christensen executive Dave Singleton to put a rescue team together and get himself to Chile where Hart would lead his drilling effort along with Layne’s sister company Geotec. The operation to create a hole big enough to free the miners took 33 … Read More »

Comments (15)