A Colorado judge has set an October 14 start date for the trial of the man accused of killing 12 people and injuring 70 others at a megaplex in 2012. Arapahoe County District Court Judge Carlos Samour said today he wants the first group of the 6,000 would-be jurors to report on that date for Phase 1 of jury selection. But attorneys for the accused killer said they will appeal the decision because they want their client to undergo a second psychiatric evaluation, which could stall the proceeding again. In June the court accepted the defendant’s plea of not guilty by reason of insanity, which led to his first psychiatric evaluation. He faces 166 counts of murder, attempted murder and other crimes.
Related: Court Rules Fox News Reporter Won’t Have To Name Sources For Aurora Shooting Coverage
Read More »
A Colorado judge has accepted a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity for alleged theater shooter James Holmes, the AP reports. Now begins an evaluation of Holmes by state doctors to determine whether was insane … Read More »
Some family members of victims of the Aurora, Colorado movie theater shooting are outraged over an invitation they received from Cinemark to attend “a special evening of remembrance” and a movie in the theater where their loved ones were killed. The letter, published today in the Denver Post, is signed by eight relatives of victims who say they are particularly upset that the invitation was sent during the holidays. A portion of the letter follows below:
To the Management of Cinemark USA, Inc.:
During the holiday we didn’t think anyone or anything could make our grief worse but you, Cinemark, have managed to do just that by sending us an invitation two days after Christmas inviting us to attend the re-opening of your theater in Aurora where our loved ones were massacred.Thanks for making what is a very difficult holiday season that much more difficult. Timing is everything and yours is awful.
You (Cinemark) has shown, and continues to show, ZERO compassion to the families of the victims whose loved ones were killed in their theater. You, Cinemark, have never once reached out to the families to offer condolences.
This disgusting offer that you’d “like to invite you and a guest to a special evening of remembrance on Thursday, January 17 at 5 PM” followed by the showing of a movie and then telling us to be sure “to reserve our tickets” is wholly offensive to the memory of our loved ones.
Read More »
Three of the audience members at a July 20 midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises today sued the theater owner. A pair of lawsuits (read them here) claim that Cinemark failed to provide adequate … Read More »
The exhibition chain has been receiving crisis management advice from Abernathy MacGregor Group, and continues to stick by its strategy of refusing to publicly discuss last month’s shootings at a Cinemark-owned theater in Aurora or the … Read More »
The entertainment giant’s CEO kicked off his quarterly earnings call with analysts by paying homage to the shooting victims in Aurora at a showing of Warner Bros’ The Dark Knight Rises. He voiced ”our profound sadness about the terrible events” and added: ”Our deepest sympathies go out to the victims of this appalling … Read More »
Showtime was one of the networks that pulled some programs off its schedule in the wake of the Colorado shootings July 20. The pay cable network … Read More »
The Oscar-winning composer says on his Facebook page that that he recorded the 8:26 minute elegiacal tone poem, titled Aurora, ”as a heartfelt tribute to the victims and their families.” He’s offering it on Apple’s iTunes store for $1.29, and … Read More »
The company’s “thoughts and prayers” are with the victims of the Aurora shooting, CEO Richard Gelfond told analysts this morning. But while the tragedy could make domestic IMAX attendance for The Dark Knight Rises “a little flatter … Read More »
Warner Bros confirmed this evening it has moved Gangster Squad from September 7 to January 11, 2013. The delay will allow filmmakers to excise a shootout scene that takes place in a movie theater, due to … Read More »
Related: Warner Bros Makes Donation To Victims Of Colorado Movie Theater Shooting
Here’s the announcement in a letter today from National Association of Theatre Owners chief John Fithian seeking contributions from the group’s members:
Dear Exhibition Colleagues,
The tragic events that occurred in Aurora, Colorado have been devastating to the victims, their familiesand loved ones, the community, the state and the nation.
As we watch the aftermath unfold and try to make sense of this terrible crime, you should be encouraged by the leadership and dedication of the community of Aurora as they comfort and assist their families and neighbors. The courage of the victims, their families and loved ones, the theater employees involved, the first responders and hospital staff members has steeled the resolve of the community and its leaders to recover from this tragedy and to emerge even stronger than before.
Read More »
ABC News is standing by its report of a telephone interview between the mother of Colorado shooting suspect James Holmes and ABC News producer Matthew Mosk in the hours after the deadly movie theater shooting Friday in Colorado. … Read More »
Christian Bale, star of The Dark Knight Rises and the previous two movies in the trilogy, issued this statement today about the tragic shooting at a theater in Aurora, Colorado:
Words cannot express the horror
… Read More »
SATURDAY, 2ND UPDATE: Ann Curry did not co-host, according to some people who watched the Today show this morning, even though NBC said she would. But, yes, she is reporting from Aurora and contributed to a number of stories, following her Dateline anchoring last night..
FRIDAY PM UPDATE: Less than a month after she departed NBC’s daily morning show, Ann Curry will co-host the Today show with her replacement Savannah Guthrie. Both are traveling to Aurora to report on the shooting at a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises. They will co-anchor Saturday and Sunday. Read More »
The shooting in Aurora, Colorado during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises has caused some broadcasters to drop some programming with violent content this weekend. “With a sensitivity to current events, Showtime has … Read More »
The pulling of The Dark Knight Rises TV spots after the shooting in Aurora, Colo, came from the networks first — not Warner Bros. “The networks decided the ads should … Read More »
President Obama authorized the action in a proclamation this afternoon. He calls it “a mark of respect for the victims of the senseless acts of violence perpetrated on July 20, 2012, … Read More »
President Obama and presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney — as well as their leading Super PAC supporters — have temporarily yanked their ads in the state, according to multiple press reports. Nobody’s saying how long … Read More »
The exhibition chains are weighing in with their response to the Colorado theater shooting.
REFRESH FOR LATEST…
We are shocked and saddened by last night’s tragedy in Aurora, Colorado and extend our deepest sympathies to the family
… Read More »