Reaction has been strong to Thursday’s controversial Glee episode “Shooting Star” in which a student brings a gun to school and a shooting occurs, particularly by some families in Newtown, CT, site of the Sandy Hook school shooting massacre. A disclaimer before the episode advised viewer discretion because the episode “addresses the topic of school violence.” SPOILER ALERT…. It turns out the gun was brought by a student and it went off accidentally. No one was hurt. CNN’s Carole Costello spoke with a parent of a child who survived the Sandy Hook shooting who said he and others were upset that no one from Fox or the show reached out to them to warn them that the episode was airing. He said it was too soon after the Sandy Hook shooting and emotions were still too raw. Last week a Newtown victims advocacy group sent out an email warning residents of the upcoming episode and the local newspaper The Newtown Bee also advised residents the episode may be too intense for some. Series creator Ryan Murphy tweeted last week that he was excited about the episode: “Just saw the rough cut of next week’s “Shooting Star”. It is the most powerful emotional Glee ever. So proud of the cast & crew”.
Related: RATINGS RAT RACE: ‘Glee’ … Read More »
Following the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. state legislators in New York rushed the nation’s toughest gun control measure into law. Now the state is looking to tweak the law with an exemption that will allow movie and TV producers to film gun battles on New York City streets, the AP reports. New York and other states have courted film and TV producers with tax incentives to create local production jobs and increased revenues in the community. Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who wants to expand the film and TV tax credit, says productions might use fake guns that wouldn’t be subject to the new law, but the industry wants “certainty” and Cuomo and other officials don’t want to jeopardize the production business. The revised law would allow filmmakers to use real weapons without real ammunition. Cuomo described the changes as “technical corrections”. The so-called Hollywood exemption is just one of several possible revisions, one of which would allow police officers more leeway with their weapons. Separately, Fox News reported that a New York state judge agreed Friday to consider whether the tough new gun restrictions were rushed into law in violation of the state Constitution which usually requires a three-day review before lawmakers vote on legislation.
Vice President Joe Biden today reiterated the administration’s call for studies on violent video games and possible links to real-life violence during a Google video chat, TheHill.com reported. Biden, who met two weeks ago with representatives of the entertainment industry, pointed out there is no concrete data on video games and possible links to violence. The CDC is prohibited from conducting research on gun violence because of a congressional ban on spending funds on studies that may advocate gun control. In addition to reimposing the federal ban on assault weapons and requiring universal background checks on firearms buyers, the White House plan released last week asked Congress to appropriate $10 million for the CDC to study gun violence, including possible links to violent video games and media images. Biden said he thinks special interest groups “are afraid of facts”, adding “let these people go out and look at the pathology that’s behind this, if there is a pathology related to gun violence” — and “let the facts lead where they will”.
Related: Showbiz Groups Pledge “To Seek Meaningful Solutions” On Gun Violence
Time Warner Cable said in a statement that it would “no longer accept ads showing semi-automatic weapons and guns pointed at people”, Multichannel News reports. “We stand by this policy. If it’s essential to a business owner to show this kind of imagery in their commercials, there are other advertising options in the marketplace”. Time Warner Cable’s move comes just weeks after the tragic Connecticut elementary school shooting and days after President Barack Obama announced a plan to combat gun violence. Obama’s plan includes universal background checks for all gun purchasers and a ban on semi-automatic assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines. The National Cable and Telecommunications Association said in a statement Wednesday that it supported the President’s proposals.
Washington DC police won’t be arresting or charging NBC‘s Meet The Press host David Gregory for displaying what he said was a high-capacity ammunition clip on national TV in December while interviewing National Rifle Association chief executive Wayne LaPierre. In the District of Columbia possession of a gun magazine capable of holding 10 or more rounds of ammunition, even if empty, is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine. Although the device Gregory held in front of the camera “meets the definition” of the law, DC Attorney General Irvin B. Nathan wrote to NBC that prosecution “would not promote public safety in the District of Columbia nor serve the best interests of the people of the District to whom this office owes its trust.” Nathan announced his decision today, the Washington Post reported. Some gun advocates have said not charging Gregory with a crime would be hypocritical, selective enforcement of the law. As of today the Post said more than 18,000 people had signed a White House petition calling on Gregory to be charged. People on the other side of the debate suggest that prosecuting Gregory would be a waste of resources that would be better spent on curtailing real violence.
Related: NBC News’ David Gregory Investigated Over Gun Magazine Use On ‘Meet The Press’
Even though its corporate executives at Comcast are meeting with the Vice-President discussing ways to curb gun violence, NBC Sports Network said today it will not be dropping its sponsorship of the largest gun trade show in America next week. A network spokesperson told Deadline that NBC Sports has “participated in the SHOT Show for several years as part of our commitment to our outdoor programming block.” This reaffirmation of the network’s continuing sponsorship of the Sporting, Hunting Outdoor Trade show comes less than a month since the tragic Connecticut school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown. Various broadcasters and studios altered or delayed their content in the wake of the killings. NBC Sports’ commitment to the SHOT show also comes one day after David L. Cohen, EVP of NBCUniversal owner Comcast, participated in a White House meeting on curbing gun violence with Vice-President Joe Biden’s gun safety task force and other representatives of the entertainment industry. The National Shooting Sports Foundation, which runs the Las Vegas-based SHOT Show, also participated in such meetings with Biden and others on Thursday. NBC’s own Bob Costas repeatedly chastised existing accessibility to guns after the killing of 20 children and six adults at the Newtown school on December 14. The NSSF itself is headquartered in Newtown, Conn. The SHOT Show runs in Vegas from January 15 to 18.
Entertainment industry representatives issued this statement tonight following meetings with the White House Task Force on Gun Violence:
“The entertainment community appreciates being included in the dialogue around the Administration’s efforts to confront the complex challenge of gun violence in America. This industry has a longstanding commitment to provide parents the tools necessary to make the right viewing decisions for their families. We welcome the opportunity to share that history and look forward to doing our part to seek meaningful solutions.”
In addition to Motion Picture Association of America Chairman/CEO Chris Dodd, participants included the Directors Guild of America, Independent Film & Television Alliance, Motion Picture Association of America, National Association of Broadcasters, National Association of Theatre Owners, and National Cable & Telecommunications Association.
The industry’s joint statement came after a two and a half hour meeting at the White House between representatives of the entertainment industry and Vice-President Joe Biden. The meeting was one of several the VP has had as part of his gun safety task force formed in the wake of the Newtown, CT school shooting. Biden said earlier Thursday that he intends to submit his recommendations to President Obama by January 15. Joining Dodd at the White House today was Comcast EVP David L. Cohen, DGA Executive Director Jay Roth, Independent Film & Television Alliance President/CEO Jean Prewitt, NAB CEO Gordon Smith, NATO President John Fithian, along with representatives from … Read More »
UPDATE, 6:38 PM: The Office of the Vice-President tonight released a photo of the two and a half hour meeting Thursday at the White House between representatives from the entertainment industry and the VP on gun violence.
PREVIOUSLY, 9:31 AM: Representatives from the entertainment industry will meet with Vice President Joe Biden today as he continues a series of meetings as part of his gun safety task force formed in the wake of the Newtown, CT school shooting. Motion Picture Association of America Chair/CEO Chris Dodd, Comcast EVP David L. Cohen, Directors Guild of America Executive Director Jay Roth, Independent Film & Television Alliance President/CEO Jean Prewitt, National Association of Broadcasters CEO Gordon Smith, National Association of Theatre Owners President John Fithian, along with representatives from Branded Entertainment and the National Cable and Telecommunications Association are scheduled to meet with Biden at 6 PM ET, according to a White House statement. Biden also is meeting with representatives of gun advocacy groups, including the National Rifle Association, as well as sportsmen and women and wildlife interest groups. Shortly after the Connecticut shooting, President Barack Obama appointed Biden to head a commission to come up with recommendations on gun policy by the end of January.
Are Gun Control Pleas By Movie Stars Undermined By Onscreen Violence?
NRA’s Anti- Hollywood Stance An … Read More »
Listen to the fifth episode of our audio podcast Deadline Awards Watch With Pete Hammond. This week, Deadline Awards Columnist Hammond and host David Bloom discuss the new Oscar voting system and its impact so far on more traditional voters; whether reaction to last week’s Connecticut shootings will affect violent films set to debut over the holiday week; and Pete’s handicapping of the highly competitive race for the Best Picture nominations.
Deadline Awards Watch, Episode 5 (MP3 format)
Deadline Awards Watch, Episode 5 (MP4A format) Read More »
Even though movies and TV show makers have been canceling film premieres and shows out of deference to the tragic Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Connecticut, the New York office of the Directors Guild of America is holding fast to its plan to hold tonight’s holiday party at the West Village restaurant/gun club Tiro a Segno. It’s a case of bad timing for the DGA, which in October booked an eatery that mixes food with firearms, but insiders said they did the best they could in the circumstances. “Out of sensitivity to the tragedy in Newtown, no one will be using the range,” a Guild source tells Deadline. The restaurant has a legal gun range in its basement. The DGA dinner at Tiro a Segno will see about 20 staff members sitting down for a meal in the club. Use of the range was not promised in the formal invite to the party, but prior to last Friday’s carnage, revelers would have been free to fire weapons after dinner at Tiro a Segno, which translates into “shoot the target.” The club is members only, but rents the dining room for events like the DGA shindig.
UPDATE 11:30 PM: According to programming listings released this evening, Fox is replacing the original episodes of Family Guy and American Dad on Sunday to avoid airing any potentially sensitive content in the aftermath of the Connecticut school shooting.
PREVIOUS 4:20PM: Tonight’s scheduled 10PM episode of Haven contained scenes of fictitious violence in a high school. In light of today’s tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, we have decided not to air it. At this time, no decision has been made as to when the episode will air.
Related: Networks Adjust Schedules For Connecticut School Shootings
Another black eye for TV newscasters whose rush to get the news out fast, especially on big breaking stories, sometimes leads to erroneous reports. Today several major news outlets initially misidentified the older brother as the gunman who killed 20 children and 7 adults – and had to retract their reports. Various media plucked a photo and profile of Ryan Lanza from his Facebook page that were widely circulated before authorities pointed out the error. The New York Post and Fox News were first to report that Adam Lanza and not his brother was the gunman. Corrections from CNN, ABC, CBS, Associated Press, The New York Times, Los Angeles Times and others quickly followed. According to later reports, the confusion apparently resulted from a law enforcement official inadvertently transposing the brothers’ first names. One TV broadcast report claimed that Adam Lanza, 20, was wearing ID belonging to his brother Ryan Lanza, 24, who was questioned by police and not involved in the shootings. Five months ago, ABC News mistakenly linked the Colorado movie theater shooter to the Tea Party.
All the major networks broke into regular programming as this morning’s horrific elementary school shooting in Connecticut unfolded. A visibly shaken President Barack Obama held back tears as he spoke of the tragedy. News anchors and reporters also showed their emotions while reporting details. (CNN’s Ashleigh Banfield from the scene spoke movingly about how her two small children attend school in Connecticut just 30 minutes away.) Cable networks devoted blanket coverage and networks adjusted schedules. All three evening anchors – Brian Williams, Diane Sawyer and Scott Pelley – will be anchoring from Newtown, Connecticut, tonight. The CBS Evening News will expand to one-hour, and CBS will air a one-hour special report at 10 PM ET. ABC World News will also be one-hour with Diane Sawyer beginning at 6:30 PM ET. ABC will pre-empt Barbara Walters‘ interview with President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama for Sawyer and Chris Cuomo to anchor a special edition of 20/20 (10-11 PM ET). There’s also a special edition of Nightline with Cynthia McFadden. Brian Williams will anchor a special one-hour edition of NBC Nightly News from Newtown at 6:30 PM ET. Dateline will preempt its holiday special while Williams and Lester Holt anchor a special one-hour devoted to the shooting at 10 PM ET. On Saturday, Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie will co-anchor a special edition of Today live from Newtown, along with Holt and Erica Hill. Ann Curry and Willie Geist will report.
Related: … Read More »