David Beckham Leaving LA Galaxy

By | Monday November 19, 2012 @ 6:20pm PST

The Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder says MLS Cup 2012 on December 1 will be his final competitive game with the club. Beckham has spent the past six seasons with the Galaxy, helping lead the club to three MLS Cup berths, including the third championship in club history last year when they beat the Houston Dynamo 1-0 in MLS Cup 2011. “I’ve had an incredibly special time playing for the LA Galaxy, however, I wanted to experience one last challenge before the end of my playing career,” Beckham said in a statement on the Galaxy’s website. “I don’t see this as the end of my relationship with the league as my ambition is to be part of the ownership structure in the future”.  The Galaxy reached a 10-year broadcast deal with Time Warner Cable Sports in November 2011 that is the most lucrative in MLS history. Read More »

Comments (5)

David Beckham Didn’t Make UK Olympic Team

By | Thursday June 28, 2012 @ 12:22pm PDT

It’s far too late for David Beckham to become a big star in the United States. And now the news is out that he can’t even bend it for the British Olympic team. Granted, he’s been credited with helping London win the bid … Read More »

Comments (9)

Lawyer Pursuing News Corp Could Announce First U.S. Lawsuits Thursday

News CorpEXCLUSIVE: Deadline has learned that American legal action in the News Corp phone-hacking scandal could come as early as the end of this week. UK lawyer Mark Lewis, one of the first to pursue allegations of hacking at the now-defunct News Corp-controlled News Of The World tabloidwill hold a press conference in Manhattan with his U.S. colleague Norman Siegel, former head of the New York Civil Liberties Union. A source close to the lawyers’ camp says the duo will announce what actions — legal and otherwise — it plans to take against Rupert Murdoch’s empire in the U.S. We are told that no names will be given regarding the three stateside hacking cases Lewis and Siegel are contemplating. However, we have learned that despite speculation neither David Beckham, nor Jude Law (nor one of his associates), nor Princess Diana’s former butler Paul Burrell are among potential litigants. “People are getting the names completely wrong,” the insider says. One of the individuals is, however, an American citizen. The lawsuits would be the first to be filed in the U.S., where News Corp has so far limited its exposure to the ongoing hacking investigations in Britain.

Related: UK Lawyer Poised To Target Murdoch In U.S. With Celeb Phone-Hacking Suits Read More »

Comments (2)

U.K. Lawyer Poised To Target Murdoch In U.S. With Celeb Phone-Hacking Suits

By | Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 2:28am PDT

British attorney Mark Lewis will arrive in the US today as he prepares to speak on a panel at UC Berkeley titled: “The Murdoch Effect: The News At Any Price?” He’s also expected to begin legal discussions that could lead … Read More »

Comments (2)