The Season 3 finale of A&E Network‘s Duck Dynasty was watched by 9.6 million viewers last night, a record for the series and the network. Wednesday’s season ender was up 48% over the 6.5 million who watched the Season 2 finale on December 5, 2012. With a 4.3 rating, it was the highest-rated show on both cable and broadcast Wednesday, easily beating American Idol’s 3.2. Last night’s one-hour episode garnered 5.6 million viewers in adults 25-54, 5.5 million adults 18-49 and 2.6 million adults 18-34 to become the most-watched series telecast in A&E’s history in all demos. That is a 41% rise in 18-49 over last season’s finale and a 47% rise in 25-54. With those kind of numbers, it is no surprise A&E also announced today that production on a fourth season of Duck Dynasty is scheduled to start shortly. Despite a stand-off between the Robertson family cast and producers over money, the West Monroe, LA-based family all have existing deals and are expected to show up for filming of Season 4. As for their salary demands (an increase to as much as $200,000 an episode), a new agreement is being hammered out. READ MORE »
‘Duck Dynasty’ Season 3 Premiere Sets A&E Ratings Records With 8.6M Viewers, Edges ‘Modern Family’ & ‘Idol’ For Top Demo Spot
UPDATE: A&E‘s Duck Dynasty is becoming a Jersey Shore-size ratings monster. The reality series’ Season 3 premiere not only set all-time records for A&E, it also edged broadcast juggernauts Modern Family and American Idol to rank as the No.1 telecast on all of television last night among adults 18-49. In a photo finish, Duck Dynasty‘s 10 PM telecast posted 4.995 million adults 18-49 in Live+same day, followed by Modern Family (4.987 million) and American Idol (4.945 million). A&E was the No.1 TV network in the 10 hour last night among 18-49 and 25-54, also beating its broadcast competition.
PREVIOUS NOON: The back-to-back Season 3 premiere episodes of A&E Network‘s hit reality series Duck Dynasty were the most-watched telecast of all-time at the network in total viewers and all key demos. Last night’s 10 PM episode drew 8.6 million total viewers, 5 million adults 18-49 and 5 million adults 25-54. For the hour, the episodes averaged 8.6 million total viewers, 5 million adults 18-49 and 4.9 million adults 25-54. Overall, the premiere was up by 132% in total viewers, 127% in 18-49 and 117% in 25-54 compared with the Season 2 bow.
The makers of hot cable show Duck Dynasty have just cashed out. British television giant ITV announced today that it’s expanding its U.S. production arm ITV Studios America with the acquisition of Gurney Productions. ITV is paying $40 million for a 61.5% controlling stake in Gurney Productions, best known for Duck Dynasty as well as Auction Hunters, American Digger and Haunted Collector. ITV also has a put and call option to buy the remaining 38.5% which can be exercised from 3 to 5 years after the initial deal. “Gurney Productions is a high margin business with three quarters of its revenues coming from returnable series. The company’s EBITA for 2012 is forecast to be at least $10M,” ITV said Saturday. Gurney Productions will report directly to Paul Buccieri, Managing Director of ITV Studios International and President/CEO of ITV Studios America. Further, Gurney Productions’ revenues will be included in ITV Studio’s international revenues starting in 2013. Sources said the maximum total consideration payable by ITV is $111M, depending on the performance of Gurney Productions over the next 3 to 5 years and payable only if Gurney continues to deliver significant growth. ITV Studios America already produces
A&E’s breakout hit Duck Dynasty opened its second season last night with a series high average of 3.8 million viewers for the 10 PM and 10:30 PM telecasts, 2.4 million adults 25-54 and 2.3 million adults 18-49. The series shattered its previous records of 2.6 million total viewers and 1.5 million posted by the first season finale that capped a season of very fast ratings growth.
Meanwhile, Jeff Dunham reaffirmed his status as the biggest standup viewer draw with another very highly rated special. The Halloween-themed Minding The Monsters drew 5 million viewers for its Sunday debut on Comedy Central (7.5 million for the night.) While it was down a bit from Dunham’s most recent special on the network, Controlled Chaos (5.5 million), it posted the best ratings of the year for a standup special on Comedy Central, and is the fifth most-viewed standup show for the network, with Dunham now holding three of the top five most-viewed programs on Comedy Central with A Very Special Christmas Special (6.6 million), Controlled Chaos and Minding The Monsters.