Sixth & Final Season Of ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ To Stream On Netflix

By | Thursday February 13, 2014 @ 3:00am PST
Nellie Andreeva

Star-Wars-The-Clone-Wars_S6_EN_US_V5After resurrecting The Killing for a final season after its cancellation by AMC, Netflix is doing the same for Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The streaming service will debut a 13-episode sixth and final installment of the animated series … Read More »

Comments (13)

George Lucas Unveils New ‘Sandcrawler’ Digital Production HQ In Singapore: Video

Filmmaker George Lucas welcomes Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong during the opening of Lucasfilms' new animation production facility in SingaporeGeorge Lucas, Kathleen Kennedy and Singapore’s Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong unveiled Lucasfilm‘s new regional … Read More »

Comments (11)

No Injuries In Small Skywalker Ranch Fire

By | Tuesday September 3, 2013 @ 4:58pm PDT

A warehouse serving as a shipping and receiving facility at George LucasSkywalker Ranch in Marin County, CA was damaged today during an early-morning fire. The 6000-plus acre ranch houses Skywalker … Read More »

Comments (3)

George Lucas, Tony Kushner, Elaine May Among National Medal Of Arts Honorees

By | Wednesday July 3, 2013 @ 3:15pm PDT

George Lucas, Tony Kushner and Elaine May are among the honorees for the 2012 National Medal of Arts that will be presented by President Barack Obama next week at the White House. Lucas is being … Read More »

Comments (2)

Spielberg & Lucas Predict “Meltdown” Of Movie Biz: Video

By | Thursday June 13, 2013 @ 12:17pm PDT

Steven Spielberg and George Lucas participated in a panel yesterday to open USC‘s new Interactive Media Building in LA. Alum Lucas’ foundation contributed $45M of the $50M cost of the new digs, which is part of the School Of Cinematic Arts. The pair predicted a paradigm … Read More »

Comments 70

Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill On Board For ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’? George Lucas Suggests They Are

By | Thursday March 7, 2013 @ 9:13am PST

George Lucas was asked by Bloomberg Businessweek if the three members of the original Star Wars cast would return for Episode VII. His response — “We had already signed Mark and Carrie and Harrison—or we … Read More »

Comments (19)

Media Overreaction: George Lucas NOT Selling All His 37.1 Million Disney Shares

By | Wednesday February 6, 2013 @ 7:10pm PST

UPDATE 7:10 PM: Walt Disney Co today registered with the SEC that George Lucas now has a $2.02 billion stake in the company in conjunction with the $4.1B cash and stock acquisition of LucasFilm in December. Lucas now owns … Read More »

Comments (5)

‘Star Wars’ SpinOff Films Still In Early Planning Stages, Disney CEO Says

By | Tuesday February 5, 2013 @ 3:23pm PST

Disney CEO Bob Iger seemed torn this evening between wanting to hype the spinoff Star Wars films he just announced and wanting to keep expectations under control. They are still in the very early stages, he told analysts: “I don’t have details or specifics about the films themselves,” he says. The concept is simply “becoming more real” with scripts now in development. “We’re not saying how many although I did mention two creators [Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg] who are working on two different films.” He and producer George Lucas spoke about the idea of having additional films when they negotiated Disney’s $4.1B agreement to buy Lucasfilm, which closed in December. But “we did not place a value on this activity.” The deal “was about the three saga films [Star Wars VII, VIII and IX] and all of the businesses that flow from those.” To that end, at a meeting a few weeks ago, he and Lucas agreed to focus their energies for now on the next Star Wars film due in 2015. They plan to investigate strategies to squeeze as much money from it as they can, including initiatives involving online, mobile apps, television, and parks and resorts. He wouldn’t discuss when they’ll appear, saying that “time will start exposing that to the outside world.” Read More »

Comments (14)

Are Lawrence Kasdan, Simon Kinberg Being Courted To Script ‘Star Wars’ Pics 2 and 3?

By | Tuesday November 20, 2012 @ 3:06pm PST
Mike Fleming

Simon Kinberg Star Wars ScriptLawrence Kasdan Star Wars WriterEXCLUSIVE: Here’s some tantalizing dish to chew on before the Thanksgiving turkey and trimmings. After hiring Michael Arndt to script the first installment of the relaunch of George Lucas’ Star Wars franchise, I’ve heard Disney has approached Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg and I believe it is to get the ball rolling on the subsequent installments mapped out by Lucas. Both of the scribes in question have franchise experience.

Kasdan scripted two of the original Star Wars films in the 1980 The Empire Strikes Back and the 1983 follow-up Return of the Jedi. He also scripted Raiders Of The Lost Ark for Lucas and Steven Spielberg. Kinberg’s franchise work: X-Men: The Last Stand, Sherlock Holmes and the upcoming X-Men: Days Of Future Past which Bryan Singer will direct. Read More »

Comments 57

Bob Iger & George Lucas On Disney-Lucasfilm: Video

By | Tuesday October 30, 2012 @ 2:45pm PDT

Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger and George Lucas break down their new deal.

Comments (10)

George Lucas On ‘Star Wars’ And Disney: Video

By | Tuesday October 30, 2012 @ 2:37pm PDT

The Star Wars creator discusses the future of the franchise and his company with the Disney-Lucasfilm deal now official. New LucasFilm president Kathleen Kennedy also weighs in.

Related:
Disney’s Iger: Three New ‘Star Wars’ Movies Mapped Out; TV Plans Too
‘Star Wars’ Returns — ‘Episode 7′ Slated For 2015 And More Read More »

Comments (12)

IMAX Sets ‘Raiders Of Lost Ark’ Re-Release

By | Tuesday August 14, 2012 @ 5:51pm PDT
Mike Fleming

They haven’t announced it officially yet, but my geek brethren are over it like a fat kid on a piece of cake. Director Steven Spielberg and executive producer George Lucas have set Raiders Of The Lost ArkRead More »

Comments 21

Lucasfilm Names Kathleen Kennedy Co-Chair As Successor To George Lucas

By | Friday June 1, 2012 @ 11:14am PDT

BREAKING… Kathleen Kennedy has been named co-chair of Lucasfilm. Founder George Lucas will become co-chair of the company’s board and stay on as CEO. As part of the deal, seven-time Oscar nominee Kennedy will step down from her post as co-head of the Kennedy/Marshall Co production company, leaving it to Frank Marshall to run.

The move seems a bit bizarre. Kennedy/Marshall days ago made an overall TV deal at CBS, and Kennedy has produced big Steven Spielberg films while Marshall has The Bourne Legacy coming. Lucas, by comparison, seems to mostly continue to find ways to squeeze revenue out of his tired Star Wars films. He excutive produced the passion project Red Tails (Anthony Hemingway directed), which was not a box office hit and seems to be veering toward retirement or making personal films the way his pal Francis Ford Coppola does now. Lucas has all the money he needs, but it seems unclear exactly what Kennedy will be running. We were unable to get clarity on what will happen to Lucasfilm or Kennedy/Marshall, as we were told Kennedy would be unavailable to speak with Deadline. Kennedy/Marshall has a first-look deal with Spielberg at DreamWorks and sources have said they expect it to be business as usual under Marshall. But Kennedy used to be one of the smarter producers in town though her recent movies have underperformed at the box office to the detriment of her reputation: nevertheless, the loss may have an impact. Read More »

Comments 33

‘Star Wars’ George Lucas Says He’s Really Quitting Blockbusters

By | Thursday May 31, 2012 @ 11:47am PDT

George Lucas wants to make “experimental” movies, not blockbusters anymore. The Star Wars and Indiana Jones creator told UK publication Empire Magazine that “I’m moving away from all my businesses, I’m finishing all my obligations and I’m going to retire to my garage with my saw and hammer and build hobby movies,” he said. “I’ve always wanted to make movies that were more experimental in nature, and not have to worry about them showing in movie theatres.” Read More »

Comments 53

Lucasfilm Won’t Build Marin Digital Studio

By | Tuesday April 10, 2012 @ 6:50pm PDT

“We have several opportunities to build the production stages in communities that see us as a creative asset, not as an evil empire, and if we are to stay on schedule we must act on those opportunities,” Lucasfilm said in … Read More »

Comments 28

R.I.P. Ralph McQuarrie

By | Sunday March 4, 2012 @ 5:09pm PST

Conceptual designer Ralph McQuarrie, who created the looks behind Darth Vader, Cewbacca, R2-D2 and C-3PO died at his home Saturday in Berkeley, CA, BBC reports. He was 82. In addition to helping George Lucas create the Star Read More »

Comments (15)

Brandon Tartikoff Letters Donated To USC

By | Monday January 23, 2012 @ 12:23pm PST

The USC School Of Cinematic Arts will be the new home of famed TV executive Brandon Tartikoff’s thousands of pieces of professional and private correspondences as part of a donation by his widow Lilly Tartikoff. The architect of NBC’s longtime … Read More »

Comments (11)

‘Star Wars’ Camera Fetches Record $625K At Auction

By | Monday December 5, 2011 @ 1:59pm PST

The Panavision PSR 35mm camera that George Lucas used for principal photography on the first Star Wars movie in 1977 was sold at auction over the weekend for $625,000, a record price for a movie camera. The winning bid came … Read More »

Comments 24

David Oyelowo Joins Steven Spielberg’s ‘Lincoln’

Mike Fleming

EXCLUSIVE: David Oyelowo has joined the cast of Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln. He has headed to Virginia and will play the role of a cavalryman. Oyelowo takes the job while he’s concurrently shooting the Christopher McQuarrie-directed One Shot with Tom Cruise … Read More »

Comments (12)
More Deadline | Hollywood »