So for once a Kardashian doesn’t want some video of herself out there – at least not yet. Keeping Up With The Kardashians’ Kim and hubby-to be Kanye West today filed a complaint in LA Superior Court against YouTube co-founder Chad Hurley for filming the rapper’s October 21 marriage proposal to the E! star and putting it online. The breach of contract, fraud and unjust enrichment filing (read it here) seeks a jury trial as well as unspecified damages galore and gate crasher Hurley handing over any profits he might have made from putting the proposal at San Fran’s AT&T Park up on his new Mixbit site. It seems the duo didn’t want anyone but their own crews filming anything because the footage of the event was intended for M Cable Television, an offshoot of Keeping producers Bunim/Murray and E! – which means you likely would be seeing it soonish on the long running reality series.
“Kanye West and Kim Kardashian are entertainers. Entertainers get paid for their work,” says the complaint, at least telling us Kim’s real status. Slagged as a tech one-hit wonder in the complaint, Hurley actually did sign a confidentially agreement when he tagged along to the invite only event with a friend. There’s a pic of him with it in the filing. “The value of Kardashian’s and West’s rights of publicity in the future has been diminished because defendants, through their conduct, have cast a cloud on the exclusivity of any such future rights. Being under the belief that their planned broadcast may be upstaged prior to its publication, purchasers and licensees will not value such intellectual property rights as highly, their revenue sources, including advertisers, will not pay as much for broadcast rights tied to such events, and the value not only of the Event, but of future events, will therefore be diminished, with potential buyers and licensees offering reduced consideration for such rights,” the 19-page filing goes on to add. The complaint does note that Hurley apologized and has told the couple that he put the footage up on his new venture “after seeing multiple pictures and videos on Instagram.” Not good enough for Kim and Kanye who I’m assuming will now incorporate this potential courtroom drama into the E! show. Either way, the duo are represented by Eric George and Russell Wolpert of LA firm Browne George Ross LLP.
The cast of Ellen Kardashian’s legal fight with her deceased husband’s children and ex-wife just had some marquee names added. Today a defamation and infliction of emotion distress complaint was filed against Ryan Seacrest Productions and Bunim-Murray Productions in LA Superior Court (read it here) The Kardashian clan of Kourtney, Kim, Khloe, Robert Jr and mother Kris Jenner were also named, as was Jenner Communications. The Keeping Up With Kardashians producer and American Idol host was not personally named as a defendant. Very similar to a motion for counterclaim that Ellen Kardashian/Pearson filed in federal court in July, today’s 20-page complaint alleges that the widow of Robert Kardashian is the victim of a manufactured reality TV plotline from earlier this year by the clan and the production companies and a “manufactured lawsuit” in filed in federal court in April. Kardashian/Pearson withdrew her federal motion for counterclaim earlier this month with a window open to file it again if she wanted to. Seeking damages of $500,000, the Kardashian suit against their ex-stepmother claimed that Kardashian/Pearson, who married the family patriarch two months before he died of cancer in 2003, was engaged in a ”despicable and unlawful scheme” to sell family photos of the children and parts of their father’s diary to the tabloids. Read More »
Ellen Pearson says that she and the courts are the victims of a manufactured reality TV plotline by the Kardashian clan and she wants Lady Justice to let her state her case. The widow and third … Read More »
Her sex was revealed on the Season 8 premiere of E!‘s Keeping Up With The Kardashians less than two weeks ago. And now the baby daughter of series’ star Kim … Read More »
There is a major executive change at E! Entertainment with president of entertainment programming Lisa Berger suddenly leaving her post. Berger has been at E! for nine years, overseeing the network’s original programming development, first under president Ted Harbert and, for the past year under his successor Suzanne Kolb. Berger led the network during the transition from Comcast to NBCUniversal ownership, where the cable network falls under the purview of NBCU veteran Bonnie Hammer, and was among the executives rumored for the top E! post. During her tenure at E!, Berger shepherded such hit unscripted series as The Girls Next Door, Keeping Up With The Kardashians and its offshoots and late-night staple Chelsea Lately. She most recently oversaw the network’s expansion into scripted programming. Berger, who was a creative executive at Fox Television Studios Production and MTV before joining E! as SVP Programming Development in September 2003, indicated she will likely take on another gig after a short break. “After nine wonderful years at E!, I have made the difficult decision to leave my post as President, Entertainment Programming,” she said. “My time at E! has been an amazing experience both professionally and personally, and it is hard to sum up nearly a decade of show launches, milestone moments and incredible friendships. I am extremely proud of all of our accomplishments taking the network to record heights and forever grateful to my team whose talent and dedication knows no bounds. Although it won’t be easy for me to say goodbye, I look forward to sharing the news of my next challenge in the months ahead.” Read More »
EXCLUSIVE: Kardashian matriarch Kris Jenner, the first lady of reality television, is eying a move into daytime. I’ve learned that Jenner is in talks with Twentieth Television to host a daytime talk show. Discussions are also underway for a test run of the show on the Fox TV Stations as early as this summer. There had been speculation that Jenner, who has built a TV empire with the Keeping Up With The Kardashians franchise, is looking to launch her own talk show. Last year, she served as a fill-in host on The Talk and the fourth hour of Today. Meanwhile, the six-week test run on the Fox stations has become increasingly popular as it has spawned two series to go to national syndication: Wendy Williams and Bethenny. “Everyone wants to do a test with the Fox TV stations,” a spokesperson for the stations said, declining further comment. Read More »
All the cable networks and rival morning shows Good Morning America on ABC and CBS This Morning carried the moment of silence this morning to commemorate the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama … Read More »