Check Out Our New Look

Elmo Voice Kevin Clash Has Three Sex Abuse Lawsuits Thrown Out

By | Monday July 1, 2013 @ 10:32am PDT

A trio of sex with minors cases against former Sesame Street puppeteer Kevin Clash were dismissed today based on the statute of limitations. A U.S District judge ruled Monday that Clash’s accusers had six years to file claims against the Elmo voicer and all missed the deadline. Judge John Koeltl wrote that claims by the trio that they were unaware until last year of the psychological and emotional effects of what happened simply didn’t make sense. “They were aware of the facts that while minors, the defendant had engaged in sexual activities with them in violation of one or more federal statutes,” noted the NY-based federal judge in a 28-page opinion and order (read it here) “For the reasons explained above, the defendant’s motion to dismiss is granted. The Clerk is directed to enter judgment and to close these cases,” the judge added. The cases dismissed today were from Cecil Singleton, who said he had contact with Clash in 2003, Kevin Kiadii, who claimed an affair in 2004, and a John Doe who alleged that the puppeteer flew him to Florida for encounters back in the 1990s. The trio could still appeal. Clash left Sesame Street last November when allegations of a sexual relation with a Read More »

Comments (10)

Kevin Clash Sued By Fourth Accuser

By | Monday December 10, 2012 @ 5:50pm PST

A fourth man has filed a lawsuit against Sesame Street puppeteer Kevin Clash alleging sexual abuse. The latest suit was filed today in Miami, NBC News reports. The unidentified accuser claims Clash befriended him in late 1995 or early 1996 and flew him from Miami to New York where the abuse allegedly occurred. Clash resigned after 28 years on Sesame Street last month after a second accuser filed suit alleging he had underage sex with the puppeteer. The first accuser in the scandal came forward in early November after filing a lawsuit; Clash was put on leave by series producer Sesame Workshop; that accuser later recanted his story.

Related: Kevin Clash Resigns From ‘Sesame Street’ As Second Accuser Files Lawsuit

Comments (6)

Third Accuser Files Suit Against Kevin Clash

By | Tuesday November 27, 2012 @ 12:14pm PST

A third man has filed a lawsuit against Sesame Street puppeteer Kevin Clash, the longtime actor behind the PBS series’ leading character Elmo who resigned last week amid allegations of having underage sex with boys. The latest suit, filed today in Manhattan, is from an unidentified Florida man who claims that he and Clash connected on a gay telephone chat line when the man was 16 in 2000, and the two had sexual encounters at Clash’s New York apartment. A spokeswoman says Clash “believes this lawsuit has no merit.” Clash stepped down a week ago after a second accuser filed suit alleging he had underage sex with Clash, who had been on Sesame Street for 28 years. The first accuser in the scandal came forward earlier this month after filing a lawsuit; Clash was put on leave by series producer Sesame Workshop; that accuser later recanted his story.

Comments (8)

UPDATE: Kevin Clash Resigns From ‘Sesame Street’ As Second Accuser Files Lawsuit

By | Tuesday November 20, 2012 @ 9:55am PST

UPDATED: Sesame Street producer Sesame Workshop made it official on its blog this morning as a lawsuit was being filed in New York federal court charging Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash with sexual abuse of a minor, according to the Associated Press. The suit — which alleges that Cecil Singleton, then 15 and now an adult, was persuaded by Clash to meet for sexual encounters — marks the second accuser to come forward and allege an underage relationship with the multiple Emmy winner, who has been on the PBS series since 1982. Earlier this month, an unidentified man said he had a sexual relationship with Clash beginning when the man was 16. Clash took a leave of absence after those allegations were made public, but his accuser the next day took back his story, claiming the relationship was adult and consensual, and Clash said he was “relieved that this painful allegation has been put to rest”. Here’s Sesame Workshop’s statement today announcing Clash’s departure: Read More »

Comments 49

Accuser Of Elmo Puppeteer Kevin Clash Recants Claim Of Underage Relationship

By | Tuesday November 13, 2012 @ 3:28pm PST

The unidentified man who said longtime Sesame Street puppeteer Kevin Clash had a sexual relationship with him while he was underage has taken back his story. Through a release from his Pennsylvania law firm, the man said today that his relationship with Clash, was both adult and consensual. The revelation comes a day after Clash, who has voiced and operated Sesame Street‘s signature monster Elmo for 27 years, was granted a leave of absence by the show’s producer Sesame Workshop when the allegations came to light. Sesame Workshop said it was approached by a 23-year-old man in June who alleged that he had a relationship with Clash beginning when he was 16. The company met with the accuser twice and also met with Clash, who denied the accusation. “We also conducted a thorough investigation and found the allegation of underage conduct to be unsubstantiated,” the company said yesterday. Sesame Workshop said it granted the leave so Clash could “protect his reputation” against what he described as “false and defamatory” accusations. Today, Clash issued a statement  saying he is “relieved that this painful allegation has been put to rest.” There was no indication of when Clash would return to the show, his home since 1984.

Comments 25

‘Sesame Street’ Elmo Puppeteer Kevin Clash On Leave Amid Underage Sex Allegations

By | Monday November 12, 2012 @ 7:54am PST
Nellie Andreeva

Sesame Street‘s signature character Elmo will probably soon sound a little different. Kevin Clash, the puppeteer who has performed as the beloved red monster for the past 27 years, has been put on leave by Sesame Street producer Sesame Workshop over allegations he had a sexual relationship with a teen boy. The move comes on the heels of Sesame Street becoming a symbol of the campaign to defund PBS following Mitt Romney’s Big Bird comments during the first Presidential debate. Read More »

Comments 25