EXCLUSIVE: Coming off a recurring role on the Fox drama The Following, Susan Heyward has been tapped as the female lead in Powers, the Sony Playstation Network series based on the graphic novel by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming. Also cast in the direct-to-series project, whose first two episodes will be directed by David Slade from scripts by Charlie Huston, are Max Fowler (The Killing) and Adam Godley (Breaking Bad, Suits).
Combining the genres of superhero fantasy, crime noir and police procedural, Powers, produced by Sony Pictures TV, is set in a world full of people with superhuman abilities and where all of those powers are just another catalyst for mayhem and murder. It follows the lives of two homicide detectives, Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim (Heyward), who are assigned to protect humans like us and investigate cases involving people with superhuman abilities, referred to as Powers who glide through the sky on lightning bolts and fire and who clash above cities in epic battle, oblivious to the mortals below. Pilgrim is described as equal parts beauty and sarcasm, a wunderkind detective with edgy style. Read More »
David Slade (Hannibal, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse) has signed on to helm the opening two episodes of Powers, the Sony Playstation Network series based on the graphic novel by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming. He will direct from scripts by Charlie Huston (The Smoking Gun Presents: World’s Dumbest), who penned the first two episodes of the live-action series, which is set to premiere exclusively on Sony’s network in December. Slade and Huston also will exec produce the first two episodes.
Read More »
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe was fined today by the UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office for “serious breach of the Data Protection Act.” The £250,000 ($395,000) penalty stems from the April 2011 incident that saw the Sony PlayStation Network Platform hacked and the personal information of millions of customers compromised. The ICO said its investigation determined that the attack “could have been prevented if the software had been up-to-date” and said “technical developments also meant passwords were not secure.” The April 2011 fiasco shut down the PlayStation Network for more than a month as the company scrambled to respond. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe said of today’s ICO ruling that it “strongly disagreed” and planned to appeal.
David Smith, Deputy commissioner and director of data protection at the ICO said today, “If you are responsible for so many payment card details and log-in details then keeping that personal data secure has to be your priority. In this case that just didn’t happen, and when the database was targeted – albeit in a determined criminal attack – the security measures in place were simply not good enough. Read More »
It’s a lousy morning for Sony. The company has locked 93,000 PlayStation Network user accounts — including 35,000 in the U.S. — following yet another round of cyberattacks on Friday and Monday, Bloomberg reports. The company says that hackers gained data elsewhere on the Web to access the Sony customers’ accounts – but they didn’t get anything serious like credit card data. Still, some users may be concerned considering that the system had to be temporarily closed in April following similar attacks. Chairman Howard Stringer apologized for that breech. Meanwhile, Sony is offering to provide free repairs for nearly 1.6M Bravia TV sets sold since 2007. The company has discovered that a defective part involved in the LCD screen backlights could cause them to melt.
Police in London today arrested a 19-year-old man in connection with the hacking of Sony’s PlayStation Network in April, as well as for his potential involvement in breaches to the systems of the UK’s Serious Organized Crime Agency and the CIA. There was no clear word whether the teenager, identified as Ryan Cleary, was officially a part of LulzSec, a group that has claimed to have hacked into PBS’ and Sony Pictures’ websites; in the latter case, the group obtained access to the accounts of 1 million users. The PlayStation Network attack shut down the system for a month; according to various reports, the company estimates the cost of the attack to Sony will exceed $170 million.
Granted Japan’s earthquake and tsunami were not Sony chief Howard Stringer’s fault. But everything else that’s going very wrong at that company is. (Bet he wishes he were back at CBS …) Stringer today felt the need to write a very belated letter of apology (below) to PlayStation Network users for the recent PSN data breach and shutdown since April 20. As the fiasco enters its third week, Congress, the FBI and Sony-hired private computer forensic experts are now trying to find the hackers. And there are lawyers … lots lawyers. Several class-action lawsuits have been filed since confidential data for as many as 100 million users may have been exposed and possibly taken. On Sunday, Sony also took down the multiplayer online games on its Sony Online Entertainment network because it appeared compromised. (PSN provides games for downloading, while SOE hosts online games like EverQuest.) It’s supposed to make gamers feel safer that Sony’s currently in the process of overhauling its entire security system. And Stringer promises PSN will be back online in the “coming days.” But, seriously, this sucks:
I know this has been a frustrating time for all of you.
Read More »