Sesame Workshop Cuts Workforce By 10%

By | Tuesday June 25, 2013 @ 2:43pm PDT

EXCLUSIVE: Once again Sesame Workshop is handing out pink slips. Around 30 employees at the producers of Sesame Street were let go today. This comes just more than a year after a dozen employees were shown the door at the non-profit last May. “We at Sesame Workshop are not immune to the challenges of today’s economic environment. After careful review, we have concluded that we must operate, and achieve our strategic priorities with fewer resources. Therefore, we have reluctantly determined that we must reduce our workforce by approximately 10%,” said CEO H. Melvin Ming in a note sent to staff this afternoon. Among those who have been let go are former Newsweek Inc CEO and Nickelodeon executive Tom Ascheim, who joined the company in March 2012 as EVP of the Sesame Learning program. Sesame Learning will be absorbed into other divisions of the company, Ming said today. The CEO also announced that the Corporate Strategy and the Business Systems Programming groups will be dissolved as of July 1st. Sesame Workshop’s Global Education department will also be melded into other units. Read More »

Comments 97

UPDATE: Kevin Clash Resigns From ‘Sesame Street’ As Second Accuser Files Lawsuit

By | Tuesday November 20, 2012 @ 9:55am PST

UPDATED: Sesame Street producer Sesame Workshop made it official on its blog this morning as a lawsuit was being filed in New York federal court charging Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash with sexual abuse of a minor, according to the Associated Press. The suit — which alleges that Cecil Singleton, then 15 and now an adult, was persuaded by Clash to meet for sexual encounters — marks the second accuser to come forward and allege an underage relationship with the multiple Emmy winner, who has been on the PBS series since 1982. Earlier this month, an unidentified man said he had a sexual relationship with Clash beginning when the man was 16. Clash took a leave of absence after those allegations were made public, but his accuser the next day took back his story, claiming the relationship was adult and consensual, and Clash said he was “relieved that this painful allegation has been put to rest”. Here’s Sesame Workshop’s statement today announcing Clash’s departure: Read More »

Comments 49

Accuser Of Elmo Puppeteer Kevin Clash Recants Claim Of Underage Relationship

By | Tuesday November 13, 2012 @ 3:28pm PST

The unidentified man who said longtime Sesame Street puppeteer Kevin Clash had a sexual relationship with him while he was underage has taken back his story. Through a release from his Pennsylvania law firm, the man said Read More »

Comments 25

U.S. Pulls Plug On Funding For Pakistani ‘Sesame Street’

By | Tuesday June 5, 2012 @ 4:44pm PDT

The U.S. has halted funding for a Pakistani version of Sesame Street amid allegations of financial mismanagement by a local organization that co-developed the project. U.S. Embassy spokesman Robert Raines said … Read More »

Comments (2)

Pink Slips at Sesame Workshop

By | Thursday May 24, 2012 @ 12:27pm PDT

EXCLUSIVE: About a dozen people were laid off today at Sesame Workshop, producers of Sesame Street. The job cuts were at the company’s main New York offices as it “shifted some resources to better align with our strategic priorities and … Read More »

Comments (6)