Who Wants To Be A Millionaire host Terry Crews will host the 30th Annual Television Critics Association Awards on Saturday, July 19 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
Crews, who also stars in Fox comedy Brooklyn Nine-Nine, will kick off the un-televised trophy show in which awards are handed out in such categories as news and information; youth; drama; reality; and comedy, as the TV critics in North America honor the best television programs of the 2013-2014 TV season.
Past TCA Awards hosts include Bryan Cranston, Conan O’Brien, Drew Carey, Craig Ferguson, Wanda Sykes, the Smothers Brothers, Nick Offerman and Dax Shepard.
The i’s have been dotted, the t’s have been crossed, with actor, Old Spice pitchman and former NFL player Terry Crews sealing a deal to become the new host of the syndicated Who Wants To Be A Millionaire for the next 13th season, which launches in the fall. He succeeds Cedric the Entertainer, who hosted the show this season. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is going through a number of changes, some of them cost-saving, heading into the 2014-15 season. Veteran game show and TV producer James Rowley is joining as new executive producer, and production is being moved to Stamford, Connecticut where it is expected to benefit from a tax break. I hear Crews, who co-stars n Fox’s comedy series Brooklyn Nine-Nine, had been exploring doing a syndicated show and met with several studios, with Disney-ABC jumping in with the Millionaire offer. “Terry is engaging, endearing, smart, and quick on his feet — the perfect combination to lead one of the longest-running franchises in game show history,” said Janice Marinelli, president, Disney-ABC Domestic TV.
Related: Terry Crews Poised To Become New Host Of ‘Who Wants To Be A Millionaire’
Read More »
EXCLUSIVE UPDATED: I’ve learned that Brooklyn Nine-Nine co-star Terry Crews is in line to succeed Cedric the Entertainer as host of the syndicated game show Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. I hear Crews last week reached an agreement for the show, though the deal has not been finalized. Cedric was told of that this past weekend, following his 50th birthday on April 24. The veteran comedian announced today that he would be leaving the show after one season, citing his busy schedule as well as the production’s move to Connecticut, done as a budget-cutting measure. Cost trimming may also have played a role in the show’s host change. Crews is a busy man too, juggling his Fox series, which has been renewed for a second season, and movies including The Expendables franchise.
Related: ‘Who Wants To Be Millionaire’ Host Cedric The Entertainer To Depart
Terry Crews is set to co-star opposite Andy Samberg in Fox’s untitled Mike Schur/Dan Goor comedy pilot. Phil Lord and Chris Miller (21 Jump Street) have come on board to direct the single-camera project, which revolves around a diverse group of detectives in a precinct at the very edge of New York City. Crews, repped by WME and 3 Arts, will play Terry Jeffords, the Sergeant who runs the detective squad. Samberg plays the lead detective. Universal TV produces. Lord and Miller are with UTA. Read More »
EXCLUSIVE: Collette Wolfe (Young Adult) has landed the female lead in NBC’s comedy pilot Next Caller Please. The Lionsgate/Universal TV project, written by Stephen Falk, centers on Colorado public radio personality Stella Hoobler (Wolfe), who is thrilled when she’s recruited to co-host a radio show for Orbit Satellite Radio in New York City until she meets her co-host, Cam Doherty, an abrasive, hard-drinking, sexist loose cannon. Wolfe is with Gersh and Untitled.
Jon Dore has been cast in Claudia Lonow’s ABC comedy pilot How to Live With Your Parents For The Rest Of Your Life. The multi-camera/hybrid comedy, from 20th TV and Imagine, centers on Polly (Sarah Chalke), a recently divorced single mom, who moves in with her eccentric parents, Elaine and Max, a couple who’s full of life but knows no boundaries. Dore, repped by Gersh and Diamondfield, will play Polly’s “Big Lebowski-esque” ex-husband.
Are We There Yet? star Terry Crews has landed an arc on Aaron Sorkin’s upcoming HBO series The Newsroom. The show, set behind the scenes of a cable news network, stars Jeff Daniels as primetime anchor Will McAvoy. Crews will play Lonny, Will’s bodyguard and would-be-confidant or life coach of sorts. Actor and Old Spice spokesman Crews, repped by WME, next reprises his role in The Expendables 2.
After The Expendables turned in a surprisingly strong $275 million worldwide gross, many have wondered what they would do for an encore. How’s this? Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis have just closed deals to take “substantial” roles in The Expendables 2, alongside Sylvester Stallone. This has been rumored as possible, and it basically answers the hopes of a lot of fans who weren’t satisfied when action icons Schwarzenegger and Willis turned in cameos in the original, and poked fun at the days when they were the world’s top action stars. Stallone directed the first one but stepped out and the job went to Simon West. Filming will begin in October, and Lionsgate will once again release the Millennium Films-produced actioner. Schwarzenegger and Willis are repped by CAA. Schwarzenegger is already working for Lionsgate in the Jee-Won Kim-directed action film Last Stand. Willis will squeeze in the role before going off to Russia to reprise his John McLane role in Die Hard 5, which just landed John Moore as director at Fox, and then he will make a sequel to Red. Aside from Stallone, original cast members Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren, Mickey Rourke, Terry Crews and Jet Li are expected to return, and there is buzz about Chuck Norris and Jean-Claude Van Damme. Do we need to start a petition for Jeff Speakman?
EXCLUSIVE: After a long search, Simon West is the choice to direct The Expendables 2, the sequel to the 2010 surprise hit action film. West, who most recently directed the CBS Films remake of The Mechanic with Jason Statham and Ben Foster, also directed Con Air, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and The General’s Daughter. Production begins in the summer.
The sequel is expected to have back an original cast that includes Sylvester Stallone, Statham, Dolph Lundgren, Mickey Rourke, Terry Crews and Jet Li. Stallone directed the original, which grossed $275 million worldwide, $103 million domestic. The film’s produced by Millennium Films and will be released by Lionsgate. West is repped by CAA.
Sylvester Stallone wants it known that despite reports to the contrary, he will not be directing the sequel to The Expendables. Stallone, who directed and starred in the crowd-pleasing original that grossed around $275 million for Millennium and Lionsgate, is heavily involved in putting together a list of directors to helm the second installment. That film’s being scripted and is expected to have the major action stars back — with Stallone lobbying for Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis to return after playing cameos in the first film. The film’s also expected to broaden its coterie of action heroes beyond Jason Statham, Jet Li, Mickey Rourke, Dolph Lundgren and Terry Crews, but none of those casting decisions have yet been finalized. Stallone next stars in the drama Headshot, a drama that will be directed by Walter Hill.
Lionsgate and Sylvester Stallone could sure use a fresh hit when it opens August 13th. But what an irresistible concept seeing Stallone directing and starring with Jason Statham, Jet Li, Randy Couture, Mickey Rourke, Dolph Lundgren, Steve Austin, Terry Crews, and even Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger (for nanoseconds). It’s the kind of old school camp that the action box office needs. So what will it make? My box office gurus are predicting at the very least $30+M and maybe as much as $40M because it’s R-rated, only 2D, but helped by a short running time of only 1 hour, 43 minutes. Comic-Con: ‘The Expendables’ Panel
Luke Y Thompson is covering the Con for Deadline:
There were rumors circulating that The Governator would show up. Arnold Schwarzenegger didn’t. First out is Terry Crews, who rips his shirt off and jiggles his pecs. Then Stone Cold Steve Austin (moderator Harry Knowles incorrectly calls him “Steve Stone-Cold Austin”). Dolph Lundgren comes out in a suit without a tie. Randy Couture was casual. (Knowles says Couture has “seriously the scariest forearm ever”.) Then Sylvester Stallone, in sunglasses, white shirt and tie, joked: “I thought about becoming a lawyer in case this doesn’t work.” Then warned he might take off the tie later and strangle somebody with it. Crowd starts chanting “Rocky!” Crews says Stallone had him at hello. Does a great impersonation of Sly asking him to be in the movie.
Austin had been disappointed when he learned all the Expendables had been cast, but got a call to be the villain. He’s always enjoyed playing a bad guy, and when Sly offered him the role on the spot, he accepted on the spot. “I enjoyed kicking all these guys’ asses.”
Bruce Willis sneaks up behind the panel, saying he just wanted to come and say hi and thank Stallone publicly; he was grateful to have a scene with “all three of us” (#3 being Schwarzenegger). Stallone had originally written two separate short scenes for each one – his scene with Arnold … Read More »