You can’t blame ABC for not trying hard with its new series. After midseason comedy Mixology flopped in its debut behind the network’s biggest comedy series, Modern Family, last Wednesday, ABC gave it extra sampling behind its top reality series currently on the air, The Bachelor. Hurt in the process was veteran drama Castle. The 90-minute The Bachelor: Women Tell All special (2.2) was down 12% from last week’s regular Bachelor episode and down 19% from last season’s two-hour Women Tell All special. With a repeat of the Mixology premiere dropping to a 1.1 at 9:30 PM, ABC’s Castle (1.6) slipped a tenth from last week when it aired directly after The Bachelor to a new series low.
UPDATE: ABC & ‘Bachelor’ Producers Condemn ‘Bachelor’ Star Juan Pablo Galavis’ Gay People Are “Pervert” Comments As “Careless”, He Apologizes
2ND UPDATE: The damage control tour by The Bachelor star Juan Pablo Galavis continues with another apology, this time to the gay community through GLAAD. He also will be meeting with LGBT Latinos next week:
I have heard from many gay Latinos today who are hurt because of what I said and I apologize. I know gay parents and I support them and their families. They are good parents and loving families. I am a father and I know the feel of being a father, why wouldn’t I want my gay friends to also be happy parents? I also want gay and lesbian youth to know that it is fine to be who you are. Gay or straight, Black or White, Latin or American, what matters here is to respect who we are.
UPDATE, 1 PM: ABC, Warner Horizon and The Bachelor executive producers just issued a statement slamming Bachelor star Juan Pablo Galavis‘ statements that gay people are “pervert” and shouldn’t be allowed to be on The Bachelor. “Juan Pablo’s comments were careless, thoughtless and insensitive, and in no way reflect the views of the network, the show’s producers or studio,” the statement read. It mirrors A&E Network’s reaction to Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson’s controversial comments about gays — but the network and producers stopped short of reprimanding Galavis, a move that created a backlash for A&E, which suspended and then un-suspended Robertson. In the case of The Bachelor, all episodes of Galavis’ season have already been shot with the exception of the Women Tell All and After The Final Rose specials. It is unclear if ABC will proceed with them as planned. Galavis also issued a statement on Facebook, apologizing for his comments and insisting that they were taken out of context. He blamed the use of word “pervert” in reference to gay people on English being his second language and professed his “respect for Gay people and their families.” You can read his full statement under the post.
PREVIOUS 10:20 AM: It’s been what, a month, since the star of a hit reality show made controversial comments about gay people? Cue Juan Pablo Galavis, the popular star of the current cycle of ABC‘s The Bachelor. In an interview with TVPage at ABC’s TCA party last night, the single dad and a former Venezuelan soccer player was asked whether it would be a good idea to have a gay Bachelor. He was firmly against it. “I don’t think it is a good example for kids to watch that on TV,” he said. “I don’t know if I’m mistaken or not, I have a lot of friends like that, but (gays) are more pervert [sic] in a sense, and to me the show will be too strong, too hard to watch on TV.” It remains to be seen what Galavis’ gay friends as well as ABC and The Bachelor producer Warner Horizon will say about those comments. While not as incendiary as last month’s statements by Phil Robertson, star of A&E’s juggernaut Duck Dynasty, Galavis’ stance on the sensitive topic is sure to raise eyebrows and could be damaging to the show.
ABC brass are trying hard to stem Dancing With The Stars‘ ratings decline. Following a solid ratings run for the just concluded cycle of The Bachelor, especially in the younger demos, the …
The production company behind The Bachelor, The Bachelorette and other TV shows filed suit today in Los Angeles Superior Court against former lead production accountant Iain Anderson. (Read the lawsuit here) AND Syndicated Productions accuses Anderson, who is listed as residing in Ventura County, and unspecified co-defendants of artificially …
ABC says allegations that The Bachelor and The Bachelorette are racist are “demonstrably false and unsupportable.” In a motion filed yesterday (read it here) seeking dismissal of the April 18 lawsuit against the shows, their producers and the network, ABC said the lawsuit “violates the First Amendment, which protects Defendants’ creative choices concerning the content — including the casting — of the television series that they produce and broadcast to the public.” The network goes on to cite legal precedent to say “it is well settled that ‘[e]ntertainment, as well as political and ideological speech, is protected’ fully by the First Amendment.” Back in April, football players Nathaniel Claybrooks and Christopher Johnson filed a class-action lawsuit against the reality shows for racial discrimination. The suit stated that over the course of both series a person of color has never been the finalist or the one picking their potential mate on the shows. The duo, both African-Americans who unsuccessfully auditioned to be on The Bachelor, named ABC, Bachelor executive producer and Bachelorette creator Michael Fleiss, Warner Horizon Television, Next Entertainment, and NZK Productions as defendants.