It was all The Bachelorette (2.6/8) all night on ABC on Monday. The two-hour Season 9 finale of the looking-for-love reality show saw Desiree Hartsock take a proposal from baseball player turned mortgage broker Chris …
RATINGS RAT RACE: ‘Under The Dome’ Down, ‘Siberia’ Debuts Soft, ‘American Ninja Warrior’ Falls In Returns
The second week of CBS’ Under The Dome (2.8/8) saw a few cracks in the new drama’s strong ratings shell. Following its big debut last week, the Amblin TV/DreamWorks TV-produced show was down 15% on Monday — not altogether unrespectable retention levels for the series based on Stephen King’s 2009 novel. Under The Dome was easily the top-rated show of the night and by far the most watched with 11.52 million viewers. Otherwise, CBS was all repeats Monday. Like on most almost-holiday summer nights, usage was down 5% among adults 18-49 and dipped 4% from last week. CBS was tops for the night in adults 18-49 and in viewers with 7.08 million.
RATINGS RAT RACE: ‘Bachelorette’ Hits Low, ‘American Ninja Warrior’ Up Big, ‘Fear Factor’ & ‘MasterChef’ Rise
The Bachelorette (2.2/6) had its tell-all episode last night with the guys who didn’t make Emily Maynard’s cut. The show was down 12% from last week and tied a season low (with the exception of specials). Still, last night’s episode – the last before July 22’s finale — was Monday’s most-watched show with more than 7 million viewers. Meanwhile, the fifth week of The Glass House (1.0/3) was flat with last week and tied a season low. ABC won the night in viewers and Fox won in adults 18-49.
The production company behind The Bachelor, The Bachelorette and other TV shows filed suit today in Los Angeles Superior Court against former lead production accountant Iain Anderson. (Read the lawsuit here) AND Syndicated Productions accuses Anderson, who is listed as residing in Ventura County, and unspecified co-defendants of artificially …
ABC says allegations that The Bachelor and The Bachelorette are racist are “demonstrably false and unsupportable.” In a motion filed yesterday (read it here) seeking dismissal of the April 18 lawsuit against the shows, their producers and the network, ABC said the lawsuit “violates the First Amendment, which protects Defendants’ creative choices concerning the content — including the casting — of the television series that they produce and broadcast to the public.” The network goes on to cite legal precedent to say “it is well settled that ‘[e]ntertainment, as well as political and ideological speech, is protected’ fully by the First Amendment.” Back in April, football players Nathaniel Claybrooks and Christopher Johnson filed a class-action lawsuit against the reality shows for racial discrimination. The suit stated that over the course of both series a person of color has never been the finalist or the one picking their potential mate on the shows. The duo, both African-Americans who unsuccessfully auditioned to be on The Bachelor, named ABC, Bachelor executive producer and Bachelorette creator Michael Fleiss, Warner Horizon Television, Next Entertainment, and NZK Productions as defendants.