Check Out Our New Look

Hot Trailer: ‘Expendables 3′

Hot Trailer: ‘Expendables 3′Last month, we saw a big swath of the Expendables 3 crew yukking it up during a massive stunt in Cannes. Today, they’re back with the first full-length trailer for the Millennium Films threequel. This episode reunites key cast members including Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren and Randy Couture. It also adds Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford, Kelsey Grammer, Antonio Banderas, Kellan Lutz and others. Director Patrick Hughes plants the band on a quest for revenge after one of their men is murdered on what should have been an easy job. Deep in enemy territory, they face an unexpected threat. The film starts its international rollout on August 13 and Lionsgate releases in the States on August 15. It’s going out with a PG-13 which Stallone said in Cannes was “to reach as many people as possible. It’s very close to an R, believe me, it’s right there. But I think we owe it to the next generation. We thought we’d join that club for a while.”

Comments (5)

Cannes: ‘Expendables 3′ Cast Storms Croisette; Sly, Arnie, Mel, Harrison & More Riff “We Are Children With Arthritis”

Expendables 3 Cannes 2014
When I exclusively reported earlier this month that Millennium Films was planning a massive stunt with the cast of The Expendables 3 storming the Croisette today, I had a feeling it would be rather extraordinary — but I didn’t know it would end up to be one of the most entertaining events I’ve attended in 17 years in Cannes. The action brigade rolled into town this morning – on tanks no less – giving throngs of "The Expendables 3" Photocall - The 67th Annual Cannes Film Festivalonlookers something to gawk at, and journalists inside a packed press conference the hourlong thrill of seeing mega-franchise stars riffing on everything from their advancing age to the state of today’s action films, how their competitiveness has waned from the ’80s and why this movie will be PG-13. “We are children with arthritis, we are young forever,” said writer- star Sylvester Stallone to great applause when he was asked how he and his cronies will know when it’s time to hang it up on actioners. He added, “I think if you wake up in the morning and your ass falls off, it’s time to retire.”

Cannes2014_badge__140417160328-150x150 (1)For now, the franchise isn’t eyeing retirement. It has made about $580M at the global box office so far. But both of the first films were rated R. This one is going out PG-13. Stallone explained, “We want to reach as many people as possible. It’s very close to an R, believe me, it’s right there. But I think we owe it to the next generation. We thought we’d join that club for a while.”

Related: Cannes: Sly, Arnie, Mel & More To Storm Croisette For Mega ‘Expendables 3′ Event

Read More »

Comments (17)

Cannes: Sly, Arnie, Mel & More To Storm Croisette For Mega ‘Expendables 3′ Event

EXCLUSIVE: In one of the greatest assemblages of international star power — and muscle — that Cannes has ever seen, a baker’s dozen of Expendables 3 castmembers are set to hit town on Sunday, May 18 for a full day of events. Expendables3Attending are Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford, Wesley Snipes, Antonio Banderas, Dolph Lundgren, Kelsey Grammer, Randy Couture, Kellan Lutz, Victor Ortiz and Glen Powell, along with director Patrick Hughes. Cannes2014_badgeMillennium Films president Mark Gill tells me the day will start with a screening of footage from the movie, followed by the action brigade arriving at the Carlton Hotel for a press conference and photo call. How will they get there? Why, in tanks of course! Millennium, which is organizing the testosterone fest, is seeing that a stretch of the Croisette is shut down to accommodate the armored vehicles. At the Carlton, it’s also bought banners representing each of the characters which will adorn the façade. Later that evening, there will be a big soirée at the Palm Beach nightclub.

Cannes is habitually used as a platform to launch and promote Hollywood movies off the red carpet, but in recent years the studios have cut back on … Read More »

Comments (7)

Kelsey Grammer Joins Beefcake Brigade in ‘The Expendables 3′

By | Tuesday September 17, 2013 @ 4:37pm PDT
Mike Fleming

EXCLUSIVE: Remember when Nicolas Cage was supposed to join the ensemble of action stars of Millennium Films’ The Expendables 3? Well, guess what, that role is going to Kelsey Grammer. Grammer is near a deal to play the role of Bonaparte, an ex-mercenary who helps the Expendables in their mission. While Grammer was long identified for playing the mild-mannered shrink-turned-radio host Dr. Frasier Crane, he has transformed into a Hollywood tough guy. Most of that came from him playing a ferocious powerbroker in the recently canceled Starz series Boss. Michael Bay was a fan of that show, which led to Grammer being cast as the villain in Transformers: Age Of Extinction.

Related: Harrison Ford In For ‘Expendables 3,’ Bruce Willis Out

Grammer joins an Expendables 3 cast that includes Sly Stallone, Jason Statham, Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terry Crews, Antonio Banderas, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren and Wesley Snipes. Grammer also worked recently with Stallone in the John Herzfeld-directed Reach Me, so he certainly was on Stallone’s radar, and Sly is the catalyst for all that happens with this action film franchise. Grammer also has a new series in the works with Martin Lawrence for Lionsgate, which releases the Expendables films. Grammer is repped by UTA and Category 5′s Brian Sher.

Related: Read More »

Comments 33

Stallone And Company Finalize Cast For ‘The Expendables 3′

By | Monday August 19, 2013 @ 12:18pm PDT

Here’s your official The Expendables 3 lineup: Returning Expendables Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture, Terry Crews and Arnold Schwarzenegger will be joined by fellow action vets Wesley Snipes, Antonio Banderas, and Harrison Ford. New recruits include Kellan Lutz, MMA star Ronda Rousey, welterweight boxing champion Victor Ortiz and Glen Powell. If you missed Sly’s sly tweeting last week, Bruce Willis is out of the franchise — and how. Mel Gibson is aboard as Conrad Stonebanks, Barney’s (Stallone) ex-Expendables co-founder who’s back with a personal mission of vengeance to end the mercenary gang. Patrick Hughes (Red Hill) is directing from a script by Creighton Rothenberger & Katrin Benedikt (Olympus Has Fallen) and Stallone. Filming begins today in Bulgaria with almost exactly a year until Lionsgate releases the pic on August 15.

Related:
‘Expendables 3′ Woos Chan, Snipes, Cage & Jovovich
Harrison Ford In For ‘Expendables 3,’ Bruce Willis Out
Bruce Willis Says He’s “Bored” Doing Action Flicks

Comments 36

Mel Gibson, Antonio Banderas Join ‘Expendables 3′

By | Friday August 9, 2013 @ 1:10pm PDT
Mike Fleming

I’ve confirmed that Mel Gibson and Antonio Banderas have joined The Expendables 3, the Millennium Entertainment pic that already picked up Harrison Ford to add to the cast that has begun to resemble the Old Timers Day game held annually at Yankee Stadium. Sylvester Stallone continues to bring in aging action muscle for the franchise he hatched back in 2010. Why Stallone and Millennium continue to ignore Jeff Speakman and Brian Bosworth is beyond me, and they seem to be about the only action heroes who haven’t joined the beefcake brigade. Is Sly saving them for a fourth movie?

Comments 50

‘Expendables 3′ Gets August 2014 Release Date

By | Monday June 3, 2013 @ 12:09pm PDT

Jackie Chan, Wesley Snipes, Nicolas Cage and Milla Jovovich are among the names in the mix for The Expendables 3, for which Lionsgate has now set an August 15, 2014 release. Production begins in mid-August on the latest installment in the action-est of action franchises, which Sylvester Stallone is behind and Aussie helmer Patrick Hughes will direct. The first two pics grossed $575 million worldwide, making it the biggest franchise play for producer Millennium Films. Also today, Lionsgate re-dated Summit Entertainment’s Escape Plan for October 18, 2013, shifting it from September 13 after originally slating it for September 27. The action thriller formerly known as The Tomb stars Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger and tells the story of the world’s foremost authority on structural security who has to escape from the master prison of his own design. Jim Caviezel, Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson, Vinnie Jones, Vincent D’Onofrio and Amy Ryan also star, and Mikael Hafstrom directed a script by Miles Chapman.

Comments (10)

‘Expendables 3′ Woos Jackie Chan, Wesley Snipes, Nic Cage & Milla Jovovich As Lionsgate CEO Talks Up Plans

Production of the action movie is due to begin in August and the studio is in “advanced negotiations” with Jackie Chan, Wesley Snipes, Nic Cage and Milla Jovovich, Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer told analysts this morning. In other production news, the exec says that four episodes of Anger Management will air on Fox in June. And Lionsgate has begun to shop a TV sitcom starring Martin Lawrence and Kelsey Grammer. “Nearly every network will hear the pitch in the next few weeks, and we have a high degree of confidence” that it will be on the air next year, Feltheimer says. Execs also say that they believe they’ll find conventional TV outlets that will be willing to syndicate  Orange Is The New Black. The studio is producing the action-comedy for Netflix, which plans to introduce it July 11. “It is uncharted territory” in a business where productions typically go from TV networks to digital, not the other way around, Lionsgate Television president Kevin Beggs says. Still, “these lines are blurring” and “we’re pretty confident about this reverse windowing.”

Related: Lionsgate Shares Rise After It Beats Fiscal Q4 Financial Forecasts

Read More »

Comments 34

Sly Stallone Chooses Patrick Hughes To Helm ‘Expendables 3′

By | Tuesday April 23, 2013 @ 2:21pm PDT
Mike Fleming

BREAKING: Australian helmer Patrick Hughes has been set to direct The Expendables 3, the latest installment in the he-man franchises presided over by Sylvester Stallone. Stallone gave his blessing to Hughes, a very successful commercials director who three years ago helmed Red Hill. Hughes met with Stallone and the Millennium Films brass last weekend, and he will start work on Expendables 3 later this week. Production begins mid-August. The Expendables 2 grossed $300 million worldwide and the pair grossed $575 million, so it is the biggest franchise play for Millennium. WME, Brillstein and Gang Tyre rep Hughes.

Comments (11)