UPDATE, 10:12 AM: Tom Cruise’s longtime lawyer wasted little time responding to the $1 billion copyright infringement lawsuit filed against his client, Paramount Pictures, CEO Brad Grey, Skydance and David Ellison, JJ Abrams and others over 2011’s Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol. “Tom Cruise has never stolen anything from anyone. This bizarre lawsuit against 13 people for combined copyright infringement and ‘age discrimination’ will be quickly dismissed by the Court,” Bert Fields said in a statement just sent to Deadline.
PREVIOUS, 8:14 AM: Accusations of stolen screenplay ideas and the lawsuits that follow are pretty standard stuff in Hollywood. Some come from established writers but many come from creditless claimants banging on the gates for big bucks seeking what they say is rightfully theirs. In that vein, Timothy Patrick McLanahan has filed a $1 billion copyright infringement suit (read it here) against Tom Cruise, Paramount Pictures, studio CEO Brad Grey, Skydance Pictures and David Ellison, JJ Abrams and Bryan Burk (who is called Brian Burke in the suit) and their Bad Robot company and more over 2011’s Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol. Representing himself, McLanahan is alleging that the successful fourth MI pic was based on a script he wrote more than 15 years ago titled Head On. “Upon reviewing and watching the script and movie of Ghost Protocol, I immediately recognized that the scripts for this movie had been illegally written and produced from Head On’s 1998 copyright. Ghost Protocol was released on December 16, 2010 and this lawsuit is being filed within three years of when that movie was released,” he states in the 10-page-plus exhibits federal court filing in California. In the suit, lodged December 20, 2013 and filed on January 13, McLanahan also claims intellectual property theft and age discrimination and basing his damages claim on the more than $694 million the pic has made worldwide and what he says is “were DVD and blu-ray sales of $144,500,000.”
Related: Writers Sue Fox, Peter Chernin, WME and Others Claiming ‘New Girl’ Is A Ripoff Read More »
Coming off April’s Oblivion, Tom Cruise stars in Doug Liman‘s futuristic sci-fier as an officer in a brutal alien war who becomes stuck in a time loop and is forced to re-live the same combat mission over and over. Emily Blunt is … Read More »
EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions are moving ahead with a sequel to Jack Reacher, the 2012 film that starred Tom Cruise and is based on Lee Child’s bestselling novel series. A rumor went around that the … Read More »
Catch up with the best of this week’s film stories on Deadline:
The Day JFK Was Shot: 50 Years Later, Hollywood Remembers
By Dominic Patten - In remembrance of the 35th president, I asked some of the industry’s most notable and insightful individuals — a few of whom had seen JFK just before his death — where they were when they heard the news of the shooting and what they experienced that day. Here’s what they told me…
AFM: Schlock Still Rocks In Santa Monica
By Dominic Patten – Allow me to butcher a Mark Twain quote and say that rumors of schlock’s demise have been greatly exaggerated…
Adam Sandler’s Happy Madison Partner Jack Giarraputo Plots Retirement
By Mike Fleming Jr. – EXCLUSIVE: This week, Jack Giarraputo has been telling associates at studios like Sony and Paramount that he will retire after he finishes producing the Warner Bros. comedy Blended, and after that the Chris Columbus-directed Pixels for Sony.
Facts Be Damned! How Traffic Trumped Factual Reporting On Tom Cruise-Mark Wahlberg Non-Story
By Mike Fleming Jr. – The digital age has made entertainment industry coverage more exciting, but the race to post and the hunger for eyeballs leads to increasingly shameful reporting of innuendo and flat-out falsehoods. Read More »
The digital age has made entertainment industry coverage more exciting, but the race to post and the hunger for eyeballs leads to increasingly shameful reporting of innuendo and flat-out falsehoods. Last Saturday, I attended a premiere of Out Of The Furnace when The Wrap’s Sharon Waxman comes up to me to scold me for attacking her and her publication. I hadn’t done that in awhile, but I asked if she was specifically sore that I quoted George Clooney accurately when he singled her out for what he said was a 100% false story that his movie The Monuments Men had been pushed to next year because of a pacing problem. She said something about me carrying George’s water. I said I would consider her complaint. Driving away that night, I was thinking, wait a minute, isn’t this the same person who blasted a story in early June proclaiming that Nikki Finke had been fired at Deadline by Jay Penske (100% false) and that she would leave by the end of the week (also 100% false)? And wait, didn’t The Wrap two weeks ago write a breathless exclusive that exposed the anonymous scribe behind the Scandal411 blog as an ABC reporter, only to retract it when ABC proved it was the network employee’s former roommate? Read More »
Paramount will deliver a tentpole sequel to good little boys and girls a couple of Christmases from now. The studio said today that Mission: Impossible 5 — this one directed by Christopher McQuarrie — will … Read More »
BREAKING: Oblivion star Tom Cruise and director Joseph Kosinski are looking to work together again. They are circling Go Like Hell for 20th Century Fox. This is the battle between Ford and Ferrari for dominance in … Read More »
Hugh Jackman proved Wolverine has the stuff as his “One Night Only” concert at the Dolby Theatre raised $1.85 million dollars for the Motion Picture & Television Fund Saturday night in Hollywood. Each year the … Read More »
EXCLUSIVE: Jeremy Piven has just been cast in Edge Of Tomorrow, the Doug Liman-directed Warner Brothers film which stars Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt and was formerly known as All You Need Is Kill. Wait, you … Read More »
Universal Pictures International has enjoyed a record-breaking 2013, notching $1.8 billion internationally, which breaks the studio’s previous record of $1.794 billion from 2012. That makes this the biggest year in UPI’s history with 14 … Read More »
Paramount and Skydance Productions today confirmed that Christopher McQuarrie (Jack Reacher, The Way Of The Gun) will direct the next installment of their Mission: Impossible franchise. McQuarrie Tweeted the message “Mission: Accepted” … Read More »
BREAKING… It’s a rare Comic-Con appearance for Tom Cruise, who just walked onstage in Hall H for a panel on Warner Bros and Village Roadshow‘s sci-fi actioner … Read More »
WB and Village Roadshow have renamed their Tom Cruise sci-fi actioner All You Need Is Kill just in time for … Read More »
Ray Richmond contributes to Deadline’s conference coverage.
After he dropped out of last Saturday’s Produced By conference due to a late conflict, Tom Cruise – ever punctual and intensely focused, as is his reputation – kept his appointment for a rescheduled session this morning for a production-specific discussion that steered clear of any talk about what he’s up to now. (Hard at work on pre-production as star and producer for Mission: Impossible 5.) Onstage with Academy president Hawk Koch as moderator, Cruise looked sharp and relaxed in navy pullover sweater, open-collar shirt, black slacks and black leather shoes. Speaking in the Zanuck Theater on the Fox lot (roughly 80% full) before an audience of producers and would-be producers, Cruise came across as the class act he is purported to be, speaking with passion about the need to practice “basic decency” and “respect every member of the crew” on the set. He returned repeatedly to the experience of his first significant film – 1981’s Taps – as being key to satisfying his incessant curiosity and his driving need to soak up every aspect of making a film. It ultimately led to his first hands-on producing work on the first Mission: Impossible film in 1996.
Cruise also earnestly spoke about how seriously he takes his leadership role on every film. “I love acting first and foremost, and I don’t have to be the one calling the shots,” he insisted. “I don’t direct myself when I’m acting. I am the actor… But I make sure to get the crews together and make sure they know that we’re a team, and that I want everyone to come in with their A game.” Read More »
Looks like Tom Cruise is going to show up at this year’s Produced By conference after all. It’s just going to be next weekend. Organizers tell me that the actor will now be … Read More »
Sources confirm that talks are in a very early stage with Henry Cavill to replace Tom Cruise as the lead in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Deadline’s Mike Fleming reported last week that Cruise was … Read More »
EXCLUSIVE: Tom Cruise has exited as the lead in The Man From U.N.C.L.E., the remake of the classic TV series that Guy Ritchie will direct for Warner Bros. Cruise was scheduled to star in the … Read More »
On the Man From U.N.C.L.E. front, Deadline revealed that Guy Ritchie would direct the film, and that Tom Cruise and Armie Hammer will play the male leads. As is the case with these two hander espionage tent … Read More »
Paramount and Skydance have confirmed what I told you yesterday: Tom Cruise is back as star and producer of Mission: Impossible 5. No director or writer yet, officially. Here’s today’s release:
HOLLYWOOD, CA (May 7, 2013) – Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions has announced that Tom Cruise has signed-on to star and produce a 5th installment in the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE franchise. The actor will reprise the role of Ethan Hunt, who was first introduced to moviegoers in 1996.
The project is expected to announce a writer and also a director shortly and will be developed by Cruise, Paramount and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot, who served as producers on previous films in the hit series. Skydance Productions, who served as co-financers and executive producers of the last installment will work closely with the team in the development and production process.
Read More »