Friday Night Lights has already had a long journey from a book to a movie to a TV series. Now, our sister site TVLine reports that Peter Berg, who directed the 2004 film starring Billy Bob Thornton, brought it to TV and executive produced the series starring Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton for NBC and then DirecTV, is trying to put together a second movie with the principal cast of the series, which would pick up where the show left off. Here is more on the project, which would be produced by Universal Pictures, the studio behind the first movie, and Imagine, which co-produced both the movie and the TV series. Imagine’s principal Brian Grazer, who served as a producer on that film and as an exec producer on the series, would produce.
After keeping a relatively low profile since the CBS upfront, where the network announced Ashton Kutcher as his replacement on Two and a Half Men, Charlie Sheen is back in the limelight. I hear the troubled actor has been pitched to some networks and studios for a new comedy series. It is unclear if there is a specific premise or the pitch is only for Sheen’s acting services. According to TMZ, Sheen’s camp is in “deep negotiations” with a broadcast network for a new sitcom that would go straight-to-series. CBS is out of the picture, and sources indicate that ABC and NBC are not happening either. That leaves Fox, where the actor took an exploratory meeting in March, as the only broadcast possibility, though the network loaded up on comedies for next season with three new half-hour series ordered and two more pilots – Family Album and Little in Common – in serious contention for midseason. Present at the March meeting were Fox Sports president David Hill as well as Fox entertainment chairman Peter Rice and alternative president Mike Darnell. At the time, there was a lot of speculation about a Sheen show at Fox or a sibling cable network, but nothing materialized. Also never happened: Sheen’s Corner, the comedy series Sheen was “going to do” on HBO. Or his proposed show on HDNet.
A&E announced today that it has ordered seven one-hour episodes of Flipped, which stars former Survivor bad guy Russell Hantz and his family around Houston as they attempt to buy houses at low prices, renovate and sell for a profit. The series is set to air later this year. “House flipping is back, and the stakes have been elevated,” said David McKillop, EVP Programming at A&E Network and BIO Channel. “Known as the entrepreneur on Survivor, Hantz’s life as a house flipper is truly outrageous, real and genuine, which fits in nicely with our lineup of non-scripted original series.” Flipped is produced for A&E Network by Departure Films. Max Weissman, Matt Levine and Tim Robbins serve as executive producers for Departure; McKillop, Elaine Frontain-Bryant and Jessica Morgan exec produce for A&E.
Showtime’s current deal with video streaming company Netflix is up in the summer, and as part of its renegotiations, the pay cable network has informed Netflix that it will no longer make its current original series available under the new pact. Right now, all Showtime series are accessible for Netflix subscribers. Showtime CEO Matt Blank talked about the network’s plans in an interview with Crain’s New York Business, which first reported the move. “With all the options out there, we want to be sure people know they have to subscribe to see Dexter or The Borgias,” Blank said. Through a Showtime spokesperson, the network clarified that under the proposed new Netflix deal, series such The Tudors and Sleeper Cell, which no longer air originals, will continue to be available to Netflix subscribers. As for current and past seasons of Showtime’s current original series, they “will be available to our authenticated subscribers via our TV Everywhere service Showtime Anytime,” the spokesperson said.
The move is part of Showtime’s efforts to protect its on-air shows and was not connected to Netflix’s announcement last week that it plans to enter the original series arena with the David Fincher-Kevin Spacey drama House of Cards.